rsw2008

My 95 EX EB
Reaction score
City, State
pine grove, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 95 ex eb
what does seloniod #3 do in the transmission im getting a 641 code from the pcm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found this: 641 O Shift Solenoid 3 (SS3) Circuit Failure.
DTC 641
Shift Solenoid
3 circuit failure.
This is a shift solenoid within the Transmission on the valve body. you might be able to get at it once the pan is dropped. Solenoids in transmissions usually aren't too hard to change, just remember how the wires are routed or take a pic.
Have you reset the code and driven it to see if it comes back? How does the vehicle react when the code is set?
found more:
There is an easy and inexpensive way to check your solenoids to see if they are bad. Get out your ohm meter and check the resistance of the solenoid. Hook the wires from your ohm meter to the two leads coming off the solenoid. If you get no reading that means the solenoid has failed due to a break in the internal coil wiring. If you get a very low reading that meaning there is short in the internal coil. Most properly functioning solenoids will return a reading of somewhere between 20 – 30 ohms. Solenoids are fairly inexpensive as far as replacement parts go and are also fairly easy to replace.

See if this helps
2012-02-24_032639_4r55evalvebody.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 7F037 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Assembly
2 7G484 Coast Clutch Solenoid Assembly
3 7G484 Shift Solenoid 2 Assembly
4 7H144 EPC Solenoid Assembly
5 7G484 Shift Solenoid 1 Assembly
6 7G484 Shift Solenoid 3 Assembly

1. CAUTION: SS3 may pop out of its bore. This may damage the solenoid.

Use a 10mm socket to remove the SS1 and SS3 solenoid clamp screws. Remove the solenoid clamp and the solenoids.
    2012-02-24_032713_ss34r44e.gif

SS3 is circled #6 in the picture.

ok thanks for the info but that doesnt tell me what #3 does in the transmission as i have no overdrive

I found this: 641 O Shift Solenoid 3 (SS3) Circuit Failure.
DTC 641
Shift Solenoid
3 circuit failure.
This is a shift solenoid within the Transmission on the valve body. you might be able to get at it once the pan is dropped. Solenoids in transmissions usually aren't too hard to change, just remember how the wires are routed or take a pic.
Have you reset the code and driven it to see if it comes back? How does the vehicle react when the code is set?
found more:
There is an easy and inexpensive way to check your solenoids to see if they are bad. Get out your ohm meter and check the resistance of the solenoid. Hook the wires from your ohm meter to the two leads coming off the solenoid. If you get no reading that means the solenoid has failed due to a break in the internal coil wiring. If you get a very low reading that meaning there is short in the internal coil. Most properly functioning solenoids will return a reading of somewhere between 20 – 30 ohms. Solenoids are fairly inexpensive as far as replacement parts go and are also fairly easy to replace.

yes i hqave reset it many times but just starts flashing again with no overdrive im also getting a 648 code

Back