• Register Today It's free!

Serious pinging

wasicu36

Reaction score
City, State
welches, or
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt ranger
I have a 98 3.0, have always had major ping troubles, always been told, "there ain't no code, never seen nothin' like it before"@#$%%$#^! I have new plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, I have tried EVERY brand of gas, ALL the 87 bangs away like rattling a box of nickels, and the 89 and 91 grades are only marginally better, particularly when towing my 2300# trailer. Haven't had any real results from octane boosters either, and I just had a Ford dealer do a fuel system cleaning. Any ideas out there???

If your able to adjust the timing retard it a few degrees at a time. Then drive it each time. Sounds like it's combusting the air fuel mixture to soon before piston is at proper posistion to create enough preload with compression pressure. Also the speed of the piston is starting to slow down because of the rod/crank journal relationship. This will result in the rod and rings slaming into the not so compressed air space between bearings and crank journal and riing lands on pistons. This is the space that is needed for the film of oil for protection. As the piston nears TDC this space in gradually minimized by the compression getting higher as the piston reaches TDC. Then when you have ignition the air space or space for oil is now closer to the crank journal via the compression force exerting downward force on the piston. But if the fuel and air is ignited too soon before that space is minimized then it will slam into the crank journal. then you can hear an audable ping. About the same thing is happining with the rings and the grooves on piston. When ignited too soon you have what you call flame fronts and pressure waves colliding in combustion chamber. This has been observed thru speacial see thru combustion chambers and even photograghed with high speed cameras.

And if your wondering, I'm not a mechanic but I did get a good night sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night. :confused:

Try a MAF meter cleaning procedure? Try a different/new MAF yet?

Haven't tried that yet, thanks flor the tip!

Back