Service rsc now warning light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service rsc now warning light

mattjay830

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
Today i was driving my 2008 ford explorer XLT V6, and as i was driving on my instrument panel a warning came up that said SERVICE RSC NOW, and also my traction control indicaton came on the light and chime lasted for about 5 minutes then went away, but the traction control indication stayed on. Has anyone had this problem if so what was the fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issue with my 2010 EB, This has happened 5 times to me. They replaced the gas pedal assembly, throttle body (2) times, and a multiple of sensors. The truck after i bought it was in the shop more than I driven it. They finally replaced the main computer. (Glad I have the bumper to bumper warranty.) They decided it had a corrupt file. It just happened the other day again, now they are replacing the throttle position sensor.

I had the same issue with my 2010 EB, This has happened 5 times to me. They replaced the gas pedal assembly, throttle body (2) times, and a multiple of sensors. The truck after i bought it was in the shop more than I driven it. They finally replaced the main computer. (Glad I have the bumper to bumper warranty.) They decided it had a corrupt file. It just happened the other day again, now they are replacing the throttle position sensor.

Welcome to the forum, jrk2585; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. How many miles are on your Explorer? Is it still at the dealership or at home with you? Let me know and I'll research ways to help, if needed.

Crystal

Welcome to the forum, jrk2585; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. How many miles are on your Explorer? Is it still at the dealership or at home with you? Let me know and I'll research ways to help, if needed.

Crystal

Crystal, Thanks for the response, I just picked it up today. They said they had to replace the throttle body again?? This is the third time( I hope it's a charm) The dealer told me they sent some kind of a diagnostic tape to an engineer at the ford factory and they had them change it again. I'm told Ford knows of some issues with these throttle bodies. The truck has 66 thousand miles on it. I'm hoping that this is the end of this problem, It's getting to the point where I just do not trust taking the vehicle on any trips. If you could possibly get me answers to this on going problem I would be thankful.
Jrk2585

Crystal, Thanks for the response, I just picked it up today. They said they had to replace the throttle body again?? This is the third time( I hope it's a charm) The dealer told me they sent some kind of a diagnostic tape to an engineer at the ford factory and they had them change it again. I'm told Ford knows of some issues with these throttle bodies. The truck has 66 thousand miles on it. I'm hoping that this is the end of this problem, It's getting to the point where I just do not trust taking the vehicle on any trips. If you could possibly get me answers to this on going problem I would be thankful.
Jrk2585

Hi jrk2585,

I'm happy to hear your Explorer is repaired and at home again! I don't have access to our engineering staff; your best bet will be to stay in close contact with the dealership's service manager so they can provide you with updates.

Crystal

Crystal, The day after I pick it up a wrench light came on, I was able to drive it back to my dealer, they said it was a whole different set of codes this time, They ended up replacing a wiring harness. I had the mechanic take it home. He said it drove great going home, he got into it in the morning and 3 miles from his home the system went off again (RSC) and traction control. He ended up having it towed in. After discussing it with the mechanic I was happy that he had the exact same thing happened to him that i was having. He said at least now he knows what I was trying to discuss. Also he said that the trucks Idle went very high prior to the system failed. It has happen to me also. When it does this it feels like someone slams into you from behind. Well we will have to see what they come up with, I will let you know what they finally find. Thanks

...He said at least now he knows what I was trying to discuss. Also he said that the trucks Idle went very high prior to the system failed. It has happen to me also. When it does this it feels like someone slams into you from behind. Well we will have to see what they come up with, I will let you know what they finally find. Thanks

Thanks for the update, jrk2585; I'm glad your tech was able to reproduce the issue and is hard at work on a solution. I'd like to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they'll collaborate with your dealership to get this resolved. To make that happen, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal, I'm sorry but I do not know how to do aPM through this web site

John

Crystal, I'm sorry but I do not know how to do aPM through this web site

John

Hi John,

Click on the "FordService" at the left side of this post and then select the option to send me a private message. Let me know if that helps. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Sent information
Thanks

Did they figure out what was wrong. Sounds like a lot of expensive. My 2008 Mountaineer did this about 4 years ago and by the time i had it checked my battery and alternator had quit working. I replaced those and never got the message again. Started getting the same message again this week, so i had the battery and alternator tested and both tested low. I replaced the them both and am still getting the same message.

According to the engineers from Ford, it's RFIs from the coil packs. I'm still optimistic over this resolve. We will see. The dealer is currently driving it to see if this corrected the issue or not. If you had read my previous postings you will see what I have been through for the past year. All I know is that I'm glade that I purchased the extended bumper to bumper protection, I was told that Ford has spent close to 12K on all of my repairs. I will let you know once I get it back on Monday. Hopefully!

According to the engineers from Ford, it's RFIs from the coil packs. I'm still optimistic over this resolve. We will see. The dealer is currently driving it to see if this corrected the issue or not. If you had read my previous postings you will see what I have been through for the past year. All I know is that I'm glade that I purchased the extended bumper to bumper protection, I was told that Ford has spent close to 12K on all of my repairs. I will let you know once I get it back on Monday. Hopefully!

I'll swing by here next week and see how you made out, jrk2585, but it sounds like things are going well! If I can be of any further assistance, just let me know. :)

Crystal

My Mountaineer troubles

I've had exactly the same issue. A while back I've been having major misfires, so I changed coils (of course). Problem persisted, so mechanic referred me to a tranny shop saying it was probably a torque converter failure. A few months and a Trans rebuild later I get this exact random "service rsc" message. Mechanic, Trans guys are all stumped. Until they came around saying it's interference from the coils, interfering with the Trans harness. Swapped coils, had no issue for 6 months. Now out of the blue the messages are back! Become more frequent the last couple days. I'm at wits end! :mad:

Had similar problem with ford explorer 2008. The scan identified code c1440
The mechanis suggested to replace the Module and Control with the new ones, which cost a lot. Can someone tell me what is rhe code of C1440? Will the replacement of those parts fix thw problem?

Back