Setup for Survival on Washboard Roads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setup for Survival on Washboard Roads

MikeP

Reaction score
What is the recommendation for a shock-springs etc setup for a 91 XLT Explorer 4x4 for relatively OK travel on washboard roads? I presently have Edelbrock shocks (Michelin LTX/MS tires). My 3/4 ton GMC 1966 pickup with stiff springs, heavy duty 16" wheels seems to travel much easier on these washboard roads - and I thought this was due to the stiff setup. Doing a search I see comments that the Rancho RS 9000 can be adjusted to a "soft" setting which works for washboard roads. Some of our logging roads and US Forest Service roads here in the Washington State have long stretches of washboard roads. Many thanks for your opinions. Mike in Seattle

I myself find that lower PSI in the tires along with disconected sway bars and the RS9000's set to about 3 up front and 1-2 in the rear works really well for that type of a road. I can normally fly pretty fast except for when it comes to cornering.

Mike,
It's the springs that will tone down those washboard roads.
When I put the OME springs on they made a remarkable differance. The stock springs just can't cut it.

You can always just drive a little faster.. We have 2 miles of dirt to the house and a bunch of it is washboard. If we drive slow (15mph) it is very anoying.. If I drive 35mph-40mph it isn't bad... just dont' try to stop/turn quickly. We do have the sway bars disconnected but have the rs9000 shocks set on 4 up front and 3 in the rear.. The front springs are James Duff 2.5" progressive and the rear springs are stock with an add-a-leaf (197xxx miles on the mains).. The tires are 32" BFG AT Ko's.. if we know we are going to be on a very very long washboard we will lower the pressue slightly to help or kidneys..

Back