Shifting from Reverse to Drive....CLANK....???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifting from Reverse to Drive....CLANK....????

Tim K

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
(former owner) '97 XLT
When backing out of a parking spot I get a big CLANK when I shift from Reverse to Drive. I always make sure to come to a complete stop before shifting to Drive. I don't have any other problems with the Tranny going out of gear or anything like that. I have read several posts here about U-joints and I believe I saw another with the phrase "slop in the transmission" (I assume this means there is a little bit of give in the gears before they actually catch?).

I was just wondering what the true cause is...not because it affects my performance or anything, but I just want to make sure its nothing serious that is going to get worse and do damage to the vehicle...at 82,000 miles my warranty is no more.

Thanks in advance for all of the answers I am sure I will get....

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not have the service bulletin here at school with me, it went back home with my file cabinet during thanksgiving. However if you do a search, I have posted the service bulletin and service procedure for solving a similar driveline noise on a 1991 model, the TSB may apply up into 97 though, because I know my friends 1995 Ranger was effected by it. What can cause this noise is the splines on the transfer case yoke. A little bit of locktite will do the fix. However, a simple way to possibly avoid this noise is to shift from R to Neutral, wait a few seconds, then into drive. It is my understanding that this problem is not a source of failure, just a bit of an annoyance.

It could also be one of the u-joints like you said. Does your truck have a vibration or shimmy at higher speeds? My truck made a clanking noise when putting it into gear or going from R to D. I didn't think anything of it until I got it out on the highway and had a very bad vibration above 45mph. If you are questioning your u-joints, put your truck on a level surface, set your parking brake, put the truck in neutral and crawl under it, try moving the drivshaft, you will feel it move if one of the u-joints is bad. I actually had a lot of play at my rear u-joint. That is what was causing my clank and vibration. Well hope it helps.

My car is doing the same thing. Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

commonly caused by malnurished u-joints. keep-em greased and youll be okay. thats what it sound slike to me. get under there turn the drive shaft with your hand back and forth and push it up and down to see if you have any play.

O.K. I will try doing it this weekend. Thanks.

your problem is probley your radius arm bushing.... they blow out... and when you back out you put a load on the front end and it pulls forward... and then when you put it into drive it pulls the load back... causing the radius arm to make a clunk noise on the cross member.... crawl under there.... check your radius arm bushings.... they are about $10 MAKE SURE YOU GET THE HEAVY DUTY ones.... but they are a ***** to change... cause you have to grind out all the riviots.... try that...... see if it works.... that sounds like the problem.

Back