Shocks that will provide lift by themselves? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shocks that will provide lift by themselves?

MLB2Night

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
are there any shocks that can provide a lift? I was thinking about air shocks, then i could adjust them. And then, if i did get shocks that lifted it, even just an inch or so, would it be good to take off the torsion twist and extended shackles? the rear's sagging, and i dont want to add a leaf because that makes the rear end really stiff and bumpy. any ideas?

I used to think longer shocks gave you lift, but I was wrong...They are just there to provide shock absorption,they dont actually push the vehicle upwards.With a lift you will need longer ones though. You could go with add-a-leafs and maybe a softer shock to take some of the bump off the leaf?..Just my .02

If you want to lift without changing the ride, you ened to go with shackles in the rear and a torsion twist up front. You shouldn't need to change shocks at all. They won't do anything for lifting.

BTW - How did youcome up with MLB2night?

GO REDSOX!!!!

Jon

Hey! Welcome to the boards, MLB2night!
As for air springs to jack up the rear, I would steer away from them. We have a set on our 94 E150 van and they really can jack up the rear, but the ride SUX! The minimum inflation pressure for them is 20 PSI and they are so rough even at 20 it's not even funny. i mean if you've got a trailer or a ton of stuff weighing down your truck it would be ok, but for an empty truick it would be bad. If the rear is sagging, why not just bring the front down a bit to level it?I know you'd rather go up more, but the onle other way to raise the rear is add-a-leaf. or a spring over conversion, but i don't even know if thats possable or practical for an explorer. I just put 16" rims and larger tires on my truck and added about an inch or so, but thats not a lot for the price I paid and it will not help level the truck.

Again, welcome and I'm sure you'll love your new truck! If you have any ?'s, feel free to e-mail me.

Back