Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shop says my explorer is finished, is this true?!

Post number 17 has been selected as best answered.

So I've checked with the shop, they pulled off the cats and said the engine runs great with them removed, but after reconnecting them after a few mins it doesnt run so well. They are suggesting gutting some the bad cat and saying that will fix my problem. Is this a normal practice?! and what would be the chances of passing smog, it still probably wouldn't pass I assuming since it would have slightly higher emissions basically running on 1.5 cats 🤔

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did they pull off the cats? Did they just disconnect the exhaust at the manifolds? Unless they cut them out one at a time, and replaced the pipe, how do they know? Isn't there a o2 sensor after the cats? I would also question a reputable shop suggesting illegal methods. As you can see, I have questions and doubts. I would listen to @410Fortune, he has a lot of knowledge about these engines. Don't give up the Ex yet.

So I've checked with the shop, they pulled off the cats and said the engine runs great with them removed, but after reconnecting them after a few mins it doesnt run so well. They are suggesting gutting some the bad cat and saying that will fix my problem. Is this a normal practice?! and what would be the chances of passing smog, it still probably wouldn't pass I assuming since it would have slightly higher emissions basically running on 1.5 cats 🤔
If what they do doesn't trip a code then you can probably get by with passing an emissions test. Still, you will be operating illegally. These days the emission test is done by checking for codes. If you live in an area where emission tests aren't required then you can probably live with gutted cats even if a code is tripped but technically you will still be driving illegally. Also, this practice is probably fairly common in areas where emissions tests aren't required. The are required in my area and doing this would never fly here. Also, if the cats have been removed and someone does a visual inspection then you can be fined and required to replace the missing cats. I would make sure this is the problem before gutting anything.

This said, they still should have done an exhaust pressure test, IMO.

If what they do doesn't trip a code then you can probably get by with passing an emissions test. Still, you will be operating illegally. These days the emission test is done by checking for codes. If you live in an area where emission tests aren't required then you can probably live with gutted cats even if a code is tripped but technically you will still be driving illegally. Also, this practice is probably fairly common in areas where emissions tests aren't required. The are required in my area and doing this would never fly here. Also, if the cats have been removed and someone does a visual inspection then you can be fined and required to replace the missing cats. I would make sure this is the problem before gutting anything.

This said, they still should have done an exhaust pressure test, IMO.
gutted cats wouldnt pass the sniffer test though right? here in LA they do visual, the code check, and the sniffer now... well see what they do when it goes in next month again... 2 years... like clockwork... a 74 pickup doiesnt seem so bad in this way... most cams ive looked at for the 302 aint even CARB legal 🙄 except an edelbrock that ill have to mortgage my soul toby

gutted cats wouldnt pass the sniffer test though right? here in LA they do visual, the code check, and the sniffer now... well see what they do when it goes in next month again... 2 years... like clockwork... a 74 pickup doiesnt seem so bad in this way... most cams ive looked at for the 302 aint even CARB legal 🙄 except an edelbrock that ill have to mortgage my soul toby
Most places that require emissions testing would fail a non-catted vehicle on just the codes that would be tripped. If the cats are gutted but the outer hull remains then these could pass a visual inspection. The cats being completely removed would not. Gutted or removed cats would not pass a sniffer test. Where I am located this part of the state requires emissions testing where other parts of the state does not. Also, in my state any vehicle that is 25+ years old does not have to pass emission testing.

Most places that require emissions testing would fail a non-catted vehicle on just the codes that would be tripped. If the cats are gutted but the outer hull remains then these could pass a visual inspection. The cats being completely removed would not. Gutted or removed cats would not pass a sniffer test. Where I am located this part of the state requires emissions testing where other parts of the state does not. Also, in my state any vehicle that is 25+ years old does not have to pass emission testing.
lucky... here in CA its stuck at '75 and older :( if it was yours, i would be of the hook afer this test

If it was my car, I'd clean the cats out with a hammer, then get an O2 simulator. California does the sniffer test up to 2000 model year

California does the sniffer test up to 2000 model year
really? dang ive got worst of both worlds, sniffer and the plug in

Yep, 96-00 basically gets tested twice
1st gen, here i come 🙄 but no v8 then... wish we had the 25 year rule, i could put upwith that easy

Okay okay which cats are they “removing?”

The secondaries?

The secondary cats are only required on a federal level, most local emissions you can pass with just the primary cats in place

Need to know what cats are “clogged”

This shop is not capable of installing aftermarket catalytic converters? Any decent exhaust shop can

This shop is not capable of installing aftermarket catalytic converters? Any decent exhaust shop can
The shop can install aftermarket cats, they need to be carb approved which means over $1,500 per cat

Okay we need to know which cats are in question

Still don’t understand how a clogged cat could cause
Lean codes

If you gut a primary converter you can and will get cat efficiency codes during the dyno test that will fail your truck

Gutting a downstream or secondary converter has no effect on the engine

Removing secondary cats in most places is completely Legal, but not in California…. Sucks ass

Can also try private party part out and buy the complete exhaust?

I would take the truck home and the catalyst in the plugged converter might just find it’s way out the tailpipe, plan on replacing the effected cat with a carb cert unit eventually

I have a 2010 explorer XLT 4.0, it has about 140k miles on, always has ran very well. I am the 2nd owner and purchased it about 5 years ago with 70k miles. Never had a single issue with it, I kept the oil changed and treated her well. 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light, I pulled the code and it was a misfire cylinder 1, so I changed all the spark plugs cleared the code and drove for a while, it came back on, then I changed the wires cleared the code and drove it, light came back on, I changed the coil pack, cleared the codes and drove it, light came back on, this was still the misfire cylinder 1 code btw. My next idea was to change the fuel injector. So I attempted to do it, but I went to pull off the intake and realized it was going to be quite a job, so I took it to a local repair shop and told them the issue and what I had done. They diagnosed and said yes change all the fuel injectors not just one, so I said F it might as well since the intake will be off. They did that and now they are getting a engine running lean code (I forgot the exact code), they did more diagnosis and said that the misfire clogged my cat, so now my cat is causing the code. They call the dealership and the cat for this model is discontinued and there are zero aftermarket options available (I am in Cali).. so without a new cat I'm basically screwed, the check engine light will keep coming on and I wont be able to get this thing smogged. WTF?!
For the lean code your getting too much air. Could be a vacuum hose or the intake just not sitting correctly. If they didn't replace the intake gasket then that could be another issue.
If your not getting a catalyst efficiency threshold code then I wouldn't replace the cat. If you are then your local muffler shop should be able to help with cutting the old one out and rewelding a new one for California emissions.

I have a 2010 explorer XLT 4.0, it has about 140k miles on, always has ran very well. I am the 2nd owner and purchased it about 5 years ago with 70k miles. Never had a single issue with it, I kept the oil changed and treated her well. 2 weeks ago I got a check engine light, I pulled the code and it was a misfire cylinder 1, so I changed all the spark plugs cleared the code and drove for a while, it came back on, then I changed the wires cleared the code and drove it, light came back on, I changed the coil pack, cleared the codes and drove it, light came back on, this was still the misfire cylinder 1 code btw. My next idea was to change the fuel injector. So I attempted to do it, but I went to pull off the intake and realized it was going to be quite a job, so I took it to a local repair shop and told them the issue and what I had done. They diagnosed and said yes change all the fuel injectors not just one, so I said F it might as well since the intake will be off. They did that and now they are getting a engine running lean code (I forgot the exact code), they did more diagnosis and said that the misfire clogged my cat, so now my cat is causing the code. They call the dealership and the cat for this model is discontinued and there are zero aftermarket options available (I am in Cali).. so without a new cat I'm basically screwed, the check engine light will keep coming on and I wont be able to get this thing smogged. WTF?!
One of the many problems with California, that aside…a pair of cats that are CARB compliant will run about $3100 and that Dora’s NOT include a shop welding them inline. Your rig is probably worth $7000 so your within your threshold, question you have to ask yourself is how much do you like you Ex…

I wonder if cat cleaner is worth a try?

Amazon product ASIN B01LFXTAE2
Regardless, like others I am suspicious of the diagnosis and would look for vac leaks, would not pursue replacement cat until it fails a pressure test.

The intake manifold gaskets, if installed improperly, can cause the lean codes! I had p171 codes on my 98 explorer, and it only had 13k miles on it. The gaskets had gone bad.. replaced them and no problem...

I wonder if cat cleaner is worth a try?

Amazon product ASIN B01LFXTAE2
Regardless, like others I am suspicious of the diagnosis and would look for vac leaks, would not pursue replacement cat until it fails a pressure test.
does that stuff work? i always assumed it would just burnn off in the chamber before it does anythingt to the cat? or at least thats was my assumption...

does that stuff work? i always assumed it would just burnn off in the chamber before it does anythingt to the cat? or at least thats was my assumption...
A garden hose with a fireman's nozzle attachment would be more effective. I cleaned a pair of DPF filters this way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idk about in Cali, but I'm in Oklahoma and I'm looking at one right now $242.. good luck to you though!!

Back