Short In Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Short In Headlights

Icemandug

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
My son drives a 2000 Ranger and one night both headlights went out. No low beam or high beam. All of the fuses in the fuse box were fine but in the power distribution box under the hood, the 20 amp fuse in slot 12 was blown. I checked the voltage in that slot with a multimeter and it's pulling about 8. I replaced the fuse and thought that I was all set. Come to find out, whenever you go over bumps, it blows the fuse again. Any thoughts as to what I might try and check? The truck isn't in great shape so I don't want to dump a lot of $$$ into it.

It sounds like there is a bare spot in one of the wires going to the headlights... I would start at the headlights and follow the headlight harness as far as you can and look for any place the insulation is worn, like where it passes through the radiator support, or any where it might be able to rub.. If you find a bare spot tape it up, make sure there is not more than one wire bare if you find a bad place, you might have to open the harness to check all the wires.. If more than one is bare be sure to tape each one separately..

Good luck with it, intermittent wiring problems can be a big pain in the butt!!!

Back