Replacing rear quarter panel window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear quarter panel window

AKMountaineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Merc Mtneer Conv.
I started my morning off by closing the trunk door and having the rear quarter panel window shatter today...

I didn't notice anything walking up to it but from looking at the fracture after the snow melted off, it looks like a small rock got kicked up and through the window and it was just waiting for something to jostle it all apart. Pretty cool in an extremely frustrating way.

Anyway, I found some replacement glass on eBay but can't find any instructions on replacing the glass on this year's truck. I'm going to take the interior trim off and take a look around later, hoping someone has done this before and can explain it. Does this year have threaded posts and a sealing strip or is it pressure fit only? Is there a way to DIY it if it's pressure fit? Safelite estimate is $500 so looking to avoid going to the pros.

Thanks,

20190228_082621.jpg

20190228_082629.jpg

Inked20190228_082629-1_LI.jpg

20190228_082629-1.jpg

How did this work out? Just ordered a glass off e-bay to do mine. Looks like it is just a line of urethane holding it in I don't see any fasteners

when I added a layer of 20% tint on my rear windows I didnt see any bolts or other hardware hiding under my plastics the glass just went straight to the next layer of steel.... I would say 100% its just sealed in there like the front windshield

I ended up finding some glass at a junkyard and taking it to a local glass shop to replace for not much more money than the glue and suction cups would have cost to do it myself. The glass I got didn't have any studs, just the old urethane, but when he took my broken window out he showed me that there are locating pins (unthreaded) that someone had just snapped or cut when removing the replacement. You don't need them to install, just make sure it lines up well enough to make a good seal all around and hold it in place until the urethane sets.

Glass and install was less than $200 in Alaska, FYI.

Back