• Register Today It's free!

shuddering when turning

guil

Reaction score
City, State
st louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4X4
Does anyone have a clue what might cause my steering to shudder when i turn right. It only happens on the right front side. Long story short I had it towed home the other night because the starter was bad so I replaced the starter and it runs fine. When I went to test drive it the 96 explorer starting vibrating and the steering was loose while shuddering. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought the tow truck guy may have knocked it out of alignment. Please help a newbee on the site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you got air in the power steering, if the wheel was turned with the eng off ill bet money on it, it could bleed out from driving it over time, or you can bleed it by using a hand vacuum pump and making something to seal where the ps cap was and running the eng while cycling the steering wheel. go to the right lock and let go, wait a couple min, then cycle left and repeat a few times, remove the vac and check if its better

Up and lock to lock, that really works? I have a slight shudder and think that may remedy it. Will follow up here :)

How long have you been driving it that way?
Mine would get shuddering in the steering, but that was because we had replaced some parts and managed to get air in the power steering lines... it went away after a day or two of driving it.

I have only driven around the block two or three times. Should I drive it some more to make it go away? I will try to bleed the power steering tonight when I get home. Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone.

I'd try driving it more before you go to the trouble of bleeding the power steering lines. I'd say that the shuddering in mine went away after 15-20 miles... if it was even that much. Good luck!

Back