Shudders and banging from rear end and TC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shudders and banging from rear end and TC

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT Sport V8
My '04 Exploder has developed a rear end shudder when doing anything except driving forward in a straight line, like the "trac-lok" unit is staying locked or unlocking too late. If I am turning, backing up or even going between reverse and drive (or vise-versa) the rear end shudders and/or makes a loud banging clunk.

It also seems like the X-fer case or front CV joints are binding when turning, and the front end lets out a loud clunk and studders for a couple seconds.

A friend at a blue oval dealer said they've been rebuilding a ton of rear diff's in the new Exploders and Expeditions with IRS, especially those that are in trucks used for heavy towing.

Anyone else have this problem? When new, all was quiet...now with 28k on the clock it sounds like a war zone under the truck.

it should have some warranty on it right? i say take it back to the dealership and complain... there is no reason a truck with under 30K should be doing that

It's going in for the warranty work shortly, however I know I'm not the first that this has happened to. I just wonder if my case is particularly nasty...?

Back