side step/running board ?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

side step/running board ?s

My explorer came stock with the normal running boards for the XLT, I took them off a long time ago.. I'm about to lift my truck with a 3" BL, with 33x12.5 BFG.

Anyways, I've noticed some 4 door 2nd gens came with the step bars.. will it mount right up? Also, I don't remember if these steps mounted to the body, or the frame? It'll be nice if it's the body because it'll hide some of the frame and I'll get a step back. Which color combos did they come in? Any chrome? The one I saw today was all black... I'll have black soft 8's with my ford center caps on em.. would black or chrome look good? (if they came in chrome, I might be thinking about aftermarket) I'm talking about the bars that say Explorer on them? I think it does..

Any one have pictures of their step bars? (factory) Not the running boards. Also, it looks like they're farther away from the front wheels a little bit more so that gets rid of any rubbing issue I might have had, specially with my old running boards.

You mean step bars like this...
SueStock.jpg

i know that if you fit up 33s, you may need to trim these if they get put back on. and they do not hook to the body, they hook to the rocker panels.

http://www.westinautomotive.com/ they have both chrome and black options for your truck

Your alternative option would be to get stock ones, and paint them chrome, they make chrome paint. If you take your time they'll come out nice.

Justin

Yes, those are the step bars I'm talking about... I most likely won't go aftermarket. And also, this is for the 4DR... uh.. My original ones were Not these ones, they were the running boards... I'm just curious if they both mounted the same way with the brackets.. and I noticed these ones come back further from the wheel than my stock ones did so I'm 98% sure there won't be any trimming issues.... Any other pics from 4dr owners? Any comparisons between the running boards and the step bars?

Back