SilverStar Ultra | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SilverStar Ultra

Anybody use the new SilverStar Ultra bulbs?

Opinions sought.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put a set in a couple weeks ago. They are whiter and brighter than my old halogens, but not night and day different.

If I remember correctly, they're supposed to last longer than the standard Silverstars. Cost was about $10 more for the pair than the others.

I should clarify that I wasn't using Silverstars before, so my comments are in relation to the stock Ford bulbs. I had heard bad things about the standard Silverstars burning out quickly and I have DRLs on the truck, so I went for the Ultras.

My opinion on the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras is the same as my opinion of the Sylvania Silverstars- they're a cosmetic "wannbe HID" bulb like all other superwhite, blue, purple, etc bulbs, but probably the best of the bunch. The coating to tint the light really kills the output, and having to burn so bright to get enough light output through the coatings really kills the bulb life. Simple use of a light meter has shown that standard halogen headlamp bulbs put more light on the road than ANY tinted bulb. The Sylvania XtraVision or Philips Hi-Visibility bulbs are about the best domestic bulb you can get in terms of light on the road. Too bad Sylvania is still marketing the Silverstar line as the "safest" choice in the product lineup.

Al, check out the post referring to the John Deere HIR bulbs.

I just ordered a set, they were $9.98 each. Once I get them, I'll snap some before/after pics when I put them in.

I just threw in a pair of the ultras today (40 dollars at autozone). My old bulbs were oem from '99, and the ultras are a bit brighter, whiter, but not night and day difference as others have also confirmed. I expected a little better, but it is an improvement, and where I drive, any improvement is well worth it.

My opinion on the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras is the same as my opinion of the Sylvania Silverstars- they're a cosmetic "wannbe HID" bulb like all other superwhite, blue, purple, etc bulbs, but probably the best of the bunch. The coating to tint the light really kills the output, and having to burn so bright to get enough light output through the coatings really kills the bulb life. Simple use of a light meter has shown that standard halogen headlamp bulbs put more light on the road than ANY tinted bulb. The Sylvania XtraVision or Philips Hi-Visibility bulbs are about the best domestic bulb you can get in terms of light on the road. Too bad Sylvania is still marketing the Silverstar line as the "safest" choice in the product lineup.

While entitled to an opinion and well respected, and may have the numbers to back it up, i know the silverstars made a day and night difference for me. Not sure what was in the ex before, I may assume original stock 1995.

As for the topic of discussion, the ultras... im not sure to be honest. A friend has them, and didn’t notice much over mine, but then again his lens's have yellowed so im sure that may take away from it. Although he scored his for free as a giveaway at some place(?).

I guess someone needs to test with $40. But mine work so I don’t see a point to replace as of yet, maybe if one burns out. As for all the original horror stories... not sure why. I’ve had mine for 3 years now, and use them about 1-2 hours every day on avg. I think making sure I had new latex gloves on while installing them made a huge difference.

If you feel free to test them, let us know :)

I have to chime in here since I've now used Silverstars on 3 different vehicles.

1993 Ford Explorer
1993 Saab 9000CDE
1996 Pontiac Trans Am

In all cases they made a ridiculous difference in night driving (you notice most when you're on a highway or back road with no street lights)

They made less of a difference on the Explorer because I find the stockers were good. Note, I said lesser because what was oe was already pretty good.

The biggest difference on all three is when you click the high beams - substantially better than the oe on all vehicles. The Trans Am was such a huge difference, the original stockers were like driving holding a candle to light your way.

If the Silverstar Ultras are to be better, then I may or not spring for them, just cuz I was really happy with just the Silverstars.

I picked up a set at Pep Boys. Pep Boys had a rebate on them. Sylvania also had a rebate. The combination brought the price under $25 for a set. I took out the Silverstars and put in the Ultras. I didn't see a difference. If they last longer, they're worth it though. I cleaned up the Silverstars with alcohol and will save them as backups.

I also have a set of XtraVisions. IMO the XtraVisions are yellower/browner at the edge of the pattern and in highbeam.

Had the Silverstars in for about 8 months and the high beams went out on me. I did notice a slight improvement on the highway but when I was in town I noticed a decease in lighting. Went back with the PIAA's and hooked up a high output wire harness... have had no problems sense.

I replaced my 9007s with the Ultras about a week ago. They are definitively brighter than the regular halogen bulbs that my car had. I also replaced my fogs with H1 Silverstars (no Ultras yet). The Ultras do not have the blueish tint that the regular silverstars have.

I have noticed that my low beams brightness has increased, but my high beam has decreased a little bit .... ???

I think is a nice upgrade, but the lights on the X's are not that bad. I used to have an 04 GTO and those lights sucked ....

G

thought about em but i dont know for sure im running cool blues, thought bout buyin em for my gfs s10

The Silverstars are brighter than my stock lights (Low beams), but the biggest difference is how they light up markers and signs. To me they make reflective materials stand out much better than any standard halogen. So they show joggers and bikers with reflectors much better which does make them safer.

High-Beams with the SS are way better than stock.

I don't remember if I had ultras or not but I've been using them for 2 1/2 years now and they haven't burned out and I often drive in the day time with my lights on (NW rain and fog)

I bought a set in November 2006, and noticed a drastic difference over the Hellas that I was using. The Hellas were supposed to be better than most. The change was so drastic that my girlfriend even said how much better the roads were lit up. I have the relayed wiring harness also. I'm still playing around with the aiming as I do get the high beams of other cars flashed once in a while. IMHO they are worth the money. My girlfriend has regular silverstars in her 4runner and wishes her lights were as bright as mine. Now if only I can find a pair of those HIR bulbs in 9007 and a set of diamond clear headlights, I will be good to go.

Dan

both cool blues i bought have exploded so maybe one day i will spend the 50 bucks for the silverstar ultras. sound good to me they are sposed to last 30% longer than reg. silverstars. so maybe.

I Have A Pair Of Silverstar Ultras In My '00 Eb, They Are The Brightest Halos Ive Had. Thinking About Upgrading To An Hid Kit Soon...

I know that the light measurement of lumens shows other non-bluecoated bulbs as having higher lumens. But the Silverstars and the PIAA Superwhites, both at appx 3800K) seem to be brighter. Its got to have something to do with the reflectivness (if thats a word) of the color of the light.
All I know for sure is I like the SS & PIAAs better than any clear bulb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put in a set of eBay 7000K bulbs, they were not what I expected.
Then I heard about the "SilverStar Ultra Bulbs"... Priced them.
AutoZone wanted $20 a piece for them... Way too much $$$

I got a set off eBay for $24.95 shipped.

I Like 'em.

P.S. My landlord is the manager of the aforementioned establishment.

Back