• Register Today It's free!

SLS bracket fix

muller0048

Reaction score
City, State
Kintore Aberdeenshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 North Face sohc
Short post about a repair carried out on the rear self levelling suspension brackets for a 2000 UK North Face.

My SLS light came on last week and at first I dreaded that it might need new rear shocks, costing £280 per side from local Ford dealer. On looking under the rear, I noticed one of the plastic links between the body (ride height sensor) and the rear axle had popped off.

Closer examination revealed a build up of rust on a mounting ball had caused the link to come off, however once the rust was removed, the diameter of the ball which the link clips on to was too small and the link would no longer securely attach.

The local Ford dealer was unable to find a part number for the two metal brackets so I came up with a solution which has worked perfectly.

The rusted ball ended pins on the two brackets can be replaced with the ball ended bolts which are used to mount tail gate struts on nearly all hatch back cars. These are about 10mm (3/8") diameterand I got several from a local breaker for free.

Just remove the brackets from underneath the car, grind out the weld attaching the rusted ball end links, then knock the ball off. The new ball end bolts can be attached to the remainder of the bracket with an 8mm nut and reattached to the car. (one hole on the bracket might require opening out slightly)

Grease the balls and reattach the self levelling suspension links and away you go ! This fix has cured my suspension which now works better that at any time in the year I've owned the car.

This may sound a little complicated but I took only two hours from start to finish and will become clear to anyone on looking under the car. Tip - lower and remove the spare wheel to give yourselfsome room to work.

Hope this is of use to others out there who I think will possibly have encountered the same problem.

Regards Muller0048

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NIce- or simply clean the balls up and bend the metal tabs on the link to fit. Thats what I did.

I used a cable tie to hold mine back in place :(

When I first looked at the bracket, I did try bending the metal securing tabs back far enough to hold onto the worn balls however they were just too far gone once the rust was removed. Similarly I did use a pair of ty-raps to hold the linkage together untl I got a chance to do a permenant repair.

I just had a worry that come MOT time someone might mistake this system for a load proportioning sysyem for the braking system and fail it.

On a brighter note, I just got a quote for a set of handbrake shoes which made me laugh - £180.00 !! thats just the shoes, not fitted. Oh well I think you have to have a good sense of humour to run Henry Fords finest !!

For the shoes
jeepchryslerparts.co.uk
Don't think they are listed on their web site but phone 020 8200 5500.
i think they're about £25 and they also do the small parts bits (springs, retainers, adjusters etc) that may be worth replacing at the same time.

regard

Ebay £32.50p next day delivery required for mot last month

Back