Smitty built sure step w/ body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smitty built sure step w/ body lift

Isles4evr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL 2dr
I am about to order a smitty built sure step side step for my rig. I have a 3" body lift on it, and I was wondering if the step bolted onot the frame. I beleve it does, but I justw ant to make sure. If it does, will it look stupid with the big space there? Does anyone have a picture... I don't recal anyone having a step like that in the feature explorers w/ a body lift.

Another thing is, do the trailer recivers look stupid w/ a body lift, since they bolt onto the frame. I am looking at one of the tublar hidden ones that you only see a little portion on it (i think they are in the auto krafters catalog).

Do you think it would be hard to fabricate a lift "block" or bracket to lift the step and or the reciever up?

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the nerfs

Chris,
Yes, the steps go on the frame. I have had the Smitty built nerf bars for a few years and I always liked the way they looked (real close to the body). As you've probably read I just finished my 3" body lift, and to my surprise the nerfs continue to look real good. Of course if you do some major off-roading you'll know that these aren't the best things to have on your ride. It doesn't affect the type of off-roading that I do. Along with the 2" suspenison lift, 3" body lift, and the 33" tires, if it wasn't for the steps the girls would have major problems climbing into the truck. Especially with a tight little dress on. So get the steps and enjoy. As for the hitch wait for someone elses response, because I still haven't got mine. I will be posting some before and after pictures soon, so you'll be able to see the nerfs.

Robert

you can raise 'em...

I have SB surestep nerfs on my 91. If I did a 3" body lift I would want to raise them. As they sit now, they look low. But they are no lower than the skidplate crossbrace under my tranny.
On the nerf install, the fronts bolt to the frame through holes that you drill. Not fun with a hand drill, but I lived through it. Problem was the length of the bars lined the holes up partially on a double thickness part of the frame rail. The rear mount is a slot that bolts right to your front leaf spring mount.
To raise/adjust the bars up, the fronts would be easy. Just relocate the holes to be drilled. The rear would require cutting the mount of the bar and turning it to raise the bar height, then re-welding the mount to the bar. Also, turning the rear mount may allow your front mount to miss the double thickness area too.
If you do raise them, I'd suggest doint the rears first, then the fronts lined up to level.

[Edited by wabbit on 08-27-2000 at 08:27 AM]

Haha. My girlfriend doesn't like the big step up now into my truck (not really that big though). I figure that I'll just put them on with out lifting them up and see how it looks.

Anyone know about the reciever?

Thanks
Chris

i had smittybuilt bars on mine when i got a three inch body lift, but I didn't like that gap. so here's a before and after pic...

Dead Link Removed

SDMIKE

Back