sn0border88's SAS Thread | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sn0border88's SAS Thread

WARNING: This swap will be longer than bmxking's :eek:

Thanks to tig for a real steal that I couldnt pass up ($50), it all started with a d44 from a 73' Bronco. This means its drum braked, coil sprung with LP housing complete hub to hub with r/a's.

But, its matching width. :D

Its in great shape as far as EB axles are concerned. It has 3.50's which upon inspection are in PERFECT condition. Not one chip on any of the ring gear teeth. Also the rust isnt too bad, its simply surface rust, nothing damaging. Also most of the bolts so far are coming off very well, only breaking a few. Not bad for 31 years of rust.

So far in the plans are yukon 4.88's with full spool or lincon locker. Disk brake conversion VIA junkyard or broncograveyard, rear XJ 8" lift leafs and heimjointed crossover. To complete the swap ill be getting new cromo shafts front and rear with a new 5on5.5 bolt pattern for the 8.8 and 4.88's with a detriot. Also rounding it out are some new rubbers, either 35" boggers or MT/R's on 5on5.5 steelies/beadlocked pending on the DD status upon completion of the project. And, if it is no longer a DD when I finish, the top is coming off. :eek: :thumbsup:

EDIT with final prices

Upon completion it now had a Fullwidth d44/9" with 36" TSL-SX, 5.13 gears spooled rear and many other goodies.

Prices:
Gears D44/9" 5.13: $150 from PBB
D44 Master Install: $109.99 from PORC on pirate
9" Master Install: $89.99 from PORC on pirate
D44 Carrier: $60 Ebay
9" Spool: $129.99 from PORC on pirate
1976 f-150 Highpinion Drum Brake D44 : $85 from Junkyard
D44 Disk Brake Outers: $50 from Junkyard
1978 F-150 9": $50 from Junkyard
5 on 5.5 Rims: $20 from Junkyard
4 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX: $ 250 from Pragon Board
1 36x12.5x15 TSL Radial: $18 from Junkyard
Shocks: $100 from Jeff Daniels Jeeps
D44 Spring Perch: $20 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
U-Bolts (Custom) : $30 from local u-bolt shop
Brake Pads/Caliper: $31.77 National Auto
Leaf Spring Hardware: $48 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
Replacement A4LD: $65 Junkyard
Conversion U-Joint: $25 National Auto
Extend Brakelines: $73 from local brakeline shop
Steel: $56

Without what I paid those who helped, plus the gear installs I have about 1,500 into this.

Scrapping the TTB: PRICELESS

Attachments

• DSC06381.JPG
    DSC06381.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,858
  • DSC06382.JPG
    DSC06382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,866
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,846
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,843

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it depends on your idea of perfect shackle angle.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well since ur springs are pretty close to flat id make the shackle angle like 60* since they are gunna be all for droop and little tuck(comparably)....... but i dunno...its ur rig. I'll just have to do my sas and do it...

Any progress with the link? I noticed one of the feature trucks in the June Petersons 4WOR has a link similar to what you are talking about. He has his running to the front instead of the back though. I was kinda skeptical since I had never really seen it before. Looks like his works well. He's running the shaclkes in the rear of the spring, but I guess its the same idea. Since you have your shackles in the front, and the link in the rear, then its the same thing just flipped around.
Ok so you have my blessing, start with the fab work you welding shop junkie.

p.s. This is the same issue our Mr. Obama is in :)

found another pic I hadnt seen before, I like it alot.

Also finished the brackets for my axle mount. Cad + Plasma = Cool brackets.

Ive decided since my tranny crossmember is the lowest point (snag point) on my frame, and I needed to modify it to clear my driveshaft anyways im just going to make a new one and intagrate the shackle mount on it. The link will be cut and turned and gusseted to clear the tranny pan at full compression and the engine crossmember will be shaved and plated for clearnce. I would put a bend in the link but our bender cant bend it.

Attachments

• Washout Flex1.JPG
    Washout Flex1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Anti Wrap Brackets.JPG
    Anti Wrap Brackets.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 388

Im still waiting on my heims and the front axle is still MIA getting the new gears installed. Once thats back I can finish the new crossmember (tranny crossmember needs to be modified to clear driveshaft anyways) and get the anti-wrap link in place. Pirate vendor machine wave hooked me up with brand new yukon 5.13's for 127.50 shipped!

In the meantime I began deconstuction on the rear. The top is coming off, getting dovetailed with a new floor and sides to make everything flush and looking sexy. Im going to flush mount in some toolboxes in the floor as I have more room for junk and chop as much off the frame as I can.

Im hoping I dont need to, but if I do im going to replace the frame with 2x4 from the 2nd rear most body mount back so I can make new body mounts and bring the bumper in as close as I can. Tire is coming off the spare carrier and getting a new mount right behind the captains chairs (yup, there going in too)

All the electronics and computers from the rear are going up inbetween the new seats

Getting some olive drab paint once im done and some kind of canvas top.

And all this must be done by June 15th (The Nor-Easter Run)

Why you ask? Because I can. And the steel is free. :D

Wow sounds like a awesome plan! Wish I was in the state to help ya out. Good luck, I can't wait for the maiden voyage. I'm kinda jealous of your new job.

Few changes in plans.

Im going to hold off on the anti wrap link for now, im adding 7" anti wrap perches, adding a stop to the shackle hanger, adding a 2nd main leaf and putting binders on the main leaf and 2nd leaf.

This should stop is from wrapping as well as going to negative arch on the spring. Ill lose some flex I bet but I can deal with it.

Also, im going to hold off on dovetailing the rear for now but the top is still coming off and the toolboxes and cavnas cover are on their way. Instead of dovetailing it im gonna try and finish my half doors.

BTW, if any of you are looking for pre made parts for the swap, spring perches, tabs, gussets, I highly reccomend http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

I got a set of their perches in 2 days from the time I ordered. They came from cali. I was very impressed with the overall quality as well, much better than other brackets I have ordered in the past. Prices are good as well.

hay ther in sac. i might just have to stop by and check them out.

x2 on ruffStuff .. bought a few things from them -- well made and fast shipping :thumbsup:

X2 on the Aussie. I had them in both axles before the SAS started, and they were absolutly aewsome. Never had any problems with them but everyone says their customer support is awesome.

One word of advice since I figure you are installing this in the Dana 44. It is gonna be best to install the Aussie in the carrier before you have it regeared. Otherwise you will have a heck of a time getting the carrier in and out w/out a case spreader and you also have to unbolt the ring gear to install the locker.

Dana 44 Aussie, Yummm....

DSCN0177.jpg

Wrench on....

you do? Since when?

I didnt think the carrier had to come out, I watched Skunk install Spas's aussie in an hour after about 10 saki bombs.

:(

you do? Since when?

I didnt think the carrier had to come out, I watched Skunk install Spas's aussie in an hour after about 10 saki bombs.

:(

Thats true for an 8.8. The 44 is gonna be different...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats the case. I know I couldn't even get the cross shaft out without removing the ring gear.

This is true with the lockright also. The ring gear wont allow you to pull the crosspin out like in an 8.8 so the whole carrier has to come out. A pain when you don't have a case spreader. I had to use a screw driver to pry the carrier out. Not all that hard to do, just a pain.

aussie locker is in the mail.
Better get some spare axle shafts in the mail too :D. The Aussie will teach your axle shafts who's the boss.

shafts are standing at the ready. I wouldnt wheel without them. :D

They also just got electrolysis rust removal so they look brand new. It worked very well, im going around to find rustry things just to treat them.

Spent all day rewiring the dash. It was a total mess, the last owner had some ungodly complex alarm system and there was wires everywhere. I pulled about 5 pounds of wire and relays everything still works but the power door locks and the windows only work fro the drivers door. Which isnt a big deal caus thats the only door they get used from anyways.

I also removed the parking brake assembly since it wasnt used now anyways. I now have access to the wiring harness for the door so I can just unplug it and take the doors off.

I loved that alarm. Without it the truck/stupidly expensive system would have walked away at least 2x in our area alone. That thing was tied into everything. It had a remote start on it as well. That's tied into the o2 sensor, make sure you're not running rich if you disconnected that as well.

Glad to see you're going forward with all of your plans. Unfortunately I got older, married and for some reason work/real life keep cropping up. Best of luck.

Back