Snow tires or not? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow tires or not?

I didn't want to start a poll... but wanted to find out how many guys and girls around here use snow tires on their trucks or cars. I won't even go into explaining that So. Cal. Nevada, Florida and other "hot states" need not reply...

I run Yokohama snow tires on my 98 Sport and Nokian Hakkapolitas on my Audi - even though these are 4 wheel drive vehicles I have found that snow tires are a whole lot better than regular ones. I can see that nearly every day around here - when it snows... people slipping and sliding all over the place... not too many put snow tires on... too much work installing? costs?

what do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i'm up in NE Missouri, right by iowa, and i wouldn't drive my X up in this weather without the Snow tires, i had Michelin LTX Mud/Snow tires, but when it came time to replace, i switched to BFG A/T cause i like the lil more aggressive design myself, but yes to live up in this climate you have to have them, people call me all the time to take them places, cause of the 8" of snow on the ground we have still right now left over, not to mention the ice.

as far as snow tires i use my mickey t baja claw radials all the time and they whoop A$$ in the snow. but on my families other vehicles we have michelen LTX MS and they work great too. Oh and tire chains for those really bad days in the mountains

well... either chains or studs are not an option in Illinois... they're banned. I wish I could put them in (studs) but on the other hand we have problems when it snows... when the guys clean-up the roads I wouldn't need studs anymore... just a pain to take them out again... I think that in areas when you have constant snow/ice build-up on roadway chains or studs would be a must.

I have been running Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos on my '94 this winter and they are working great. I have Goodyear Wrangler A/P's (came with the vehicle) on the '00 and they are good too.

I pretty much started this thread to see how many people have designated snow tires for their vehicle and put them on during winter. We all know that today's everyday tires can pretty much handle everything from rain to snow to ice. I do own a set of Good Year Wrangler RT/S's (M&S) and use them regularly on my 98 Sport during normal driving conditions. I think that these would perform well in snow as well. Nothing beats designated snow tires though... they are built specifically to handle slick conditions - icy road, snow/slush... and perform much better than regular M&S tires.
Do you have two sets or not? why not?

no i don't have specific snow tires, and why, cause its not economical for most people especially me, a college student, u buy a tire that will handle everything that u might put in front of it, if that means ur down south, u buy a less aggressive tread unless ur commonly off-roading in mud, if ur up north, u buy m+s tires so it handles all conditions, thats why they are made, to save time and money.

Most of us with rims have 2 sets of tires. i have toyos for summer and the stock ones for winter. as soon as my stocks blow out im going to get winter tires. I really think they are a must for saftey.

Toyos... oh yes. that's what I have on my Audi... even though it's a 4WD car Toyos tend to be pretty wild for winter driving. That's why they call them performance tires... that's why I needed winter tires for that... but than I figured how much better it's gonna be if I also put winter tires on my wife's 98 Sport... good decision... nobody expected so much snow and such severe weather that we've been through so far. I'm pretty confident that costs are not that bad considering that you use those tires only like 5-6 months out of a year... it's like going through two sets of tires... same.

i have a set of stud's for winter..in AK you need them all winter..i have my stock rim's with goodyear's for summer..and bridstone stud's fr winter..the stud's are on 99 ranger rim's

WINTER
2004-02-10_013.jpg_idshr

summer
x2.jpg_idshr

There is a difference in winter tires. 1-Snow tires. 2- Snow and Ice tires.
My son and I and others go up north from R.I. hunting a few times a year almost every year. My son has always had a 4x4 for us to travel in. We hit almost every kind of snow & ice storms that you can imagine. We have always used snow tires on his 4x4. I mean real snow tires, the ones with the big knobs. They are MUCH better in deep snow than the newer snow & Ice tires that are out now.
I have always used a winter tire on all of my vechicles. I use the snow & ice tires with a lot of sipes for the ice because we mostly drive around localy.
My son has the BF Goodrich Comercial TA TRACTION tires on his 4x4 truck and they are awsome in the deep snow. Altho we have been stuck trying to go to our cabin thats 3-4 miles in from the main road even with chains. Those 5'+ drifts are just too much. We just take the snowmobile off and continue in and call in our plow guy.
So yes! I use winter tires.

Just a funny story. In the late 70's a guy from down south that ran a service station here put new snow tires with studs on them on his tow truck. He said to me that he finally smartened up. A week later I met him at the club and asked him how they were because we had a snow & ice storm. He laughed and told me that he took them off because he had been out towing in the storm and that night left his tow truck parked in his slightly steep drive way and was woken up by the police wanting to know why he left his tow truck out in the middle of the street. He was surprised to see it had slid on the studs out to the street. LOL!

well i drive like a damn maniac in the snow and ice, be it as it may, i honestly should not do this ,but its fun out in the middle of no where , which is where i live, slamming on the brakes with noone around, my tires hold just fine when i turn into the corners with my BFG's A/T, the hold up to all conditions , i think they are one of the best tires around, doesn't matter what people say, till i find a fault in them i won't stop using them!!!! BFG'S till the END!!!

i also drive my dad's(blue_97_v8) explorer most of the time now..and without the stud's..it's plane scary..with them it act's just like it's on dry ground..very stable and can stop on a dime with them!!..stud's or bridgestone winter duler's(like i will be getting for winter tires)

Winter tires?

Hi--I was reading this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. I was driving my wife back from work last night on the highway--which was shiny--the cold and slush had melted and refroze. I was doing 60--which is fast for those conditions in my Ex, and this big Chev truck flys past me at around 80. I watched him touch the brakes for a corner and next thing he was doing 360s down the center line. I managed to brake to a stop--nice and straight. A car coming the other way Tboned the truck and hurt them both pretty bad.
My point is-----in snow or ice conditions--you have to modify your driving to match the road. If you feel it is a little hairy--then you are asking for an expensive accident. Four wheel drive will not slow you down or keep from skidding.
In canada I use snow tire in the winter--with studs if I can find em. They make all the difference when a situation comes where control is needed. I drive every morning 30 miles up a glare ice highway and see at least 3 cars in the ditch every morning. People think all wheel drive and antilock make their car safer on ice but it doesn't. Another thing that drives me nuts is the ones who drive righ on my ass--if I gotta stop in a hurry--they are gonna hit for sure. Just my safety notice for the year.

Originally posted by Dre
We all know that today's everyday tires can pretty much handle everything from rain to snow to ice.

Do you have two sets or not? why not?
That's what I thought. I bought the Mrs a performance summer tires. I figured their okay on rain and maybe so so on snow. Well I was right about the rain. It sucks big time on snow. She used to get stuck on 2 inches of snow up the driveway. If you get heavy snow I think its well worth the money to switch to winter tires. Most people do not get another set because of (1) extra cost, (2) lack of space, and (3) laziness to switch 4 wheels/tires twice a year. Well those used to be my reasons a year ago. I have since fixed number (2) but the cost is still there and I am still lazy. :D

and safety was on my mind when I finally decided to go with snow tires. Trip to Europe last winter tought me a lesson. I was there during a storm... it snowed entire week non-stop... and drove throught Europe in these conditions. It surprised me though that people over there didn't cry and ***** about the conditions... you know that winter and snow and ice come once a year and that you just have to prepare for it. On some roads (mountain regions) snow tires are a must in Europe - if you have no snow tires on your car cops will not let you drive any further. They know that if they let you drive like that sooner or later they'll have to winch you out of a ditch. :) When I came back I realized that it was kind of stupid on my part to go through winter without any preperations. Snow tires, deep rubber floor mats and brush/scraper are a must now... not mentioning a flashlight and First Aid kit... we get so dependent on "On Star" that we'll forget to think on our own pretty soon...
:D

I use the BFGoodrich A/T KO's (as my profile suggests) and have only seen snowy roads twice, but during the second time they saw snow I also drove through a muddy field and over the conture of a steep ditch and although it was quite slippery, did AWESOME. (My R/C Airplane encountered some sever turbulance and ended up in a tree. Had to stand on the X to pick it out.) The only time they slipped was when I was pulling out of a McDonalds and went down a frozen bank. The ABS went nuts but I was going slow enough to just let it slide to a stop using the curb. Unfortunatly the 626 behind me wasn't going as slow and nailed me from behind. Distroyed his bumper, hood, and headlight. It straightened my bumper (which was asque from my friend yankin me out of a mud pit a few months earlier.) It was hilarious, I was so happy. Tires are good in snowy weather as BFGoodrich said they would, but I still gotta watch for ice, as everyone does no matter what tire they're running.

I think that ice driving calls for chains...

witout them no matter what tire you've got you're toast. Well... either chains or spikes!
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back