AWD to 4WD almost done....help!

ed060784

Reaction score
City, State
Ft lauderdale Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD XLT 5.0
DSC00835.jpg

Yes its true.....AWD sucks and really i was like about an inch or maybe less away from selling the X and buying either a Cherokee or maybe even a wrangler but then i found the thread from moutaineergreen (How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread) and and i gotta tell you it really inspired me to do this stuff...
really everything kinda went smooth and i had to cut a lil'bit of old pipes and bolts but it all fitted just right

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

almost lit the shop on fire with all that oil and the torches on...lolol

then the diff in sizes in between the AWD and the 4WD t-cases is night and day...i mean holly s%^$ but good thing at least in my truck was that for some weird reason it just fitted i literally only hit the under carriage twice and that was it but after that stream of good luck i knew something wasn't just rite

DSC01342.jpg

old out

DSC01341.jpg

well after that we opened some hole in the carpet and all of that good stuff, i decided to put my shifter more towards the seat so it wouldn't hit my knee while driving and all , im almost done with it its just im looking for a damn rubber boot but for now this is wat looks like..

DSC01347.jpg

]ATTACH=full]211892[/ATTACH]
DSC01351.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01354.jpg

and well i figured that i might as well put new Tokiko R/T's shocks all around for better performance with the new t case and wat not....
DSC01081.jpg

DSC01082.jpg

i don't have any pics of the new t/ because is all torn apart and this is where my issue comes in, my speedo aint working anymore and i don't know wat could be causing the issue so now im almost done i just got no idea into how get this resolve but besides not know how fast im going i mean this new t/c is awesome...so if anybody know a little bit about not working speedo well let me know please..anyways thanks to the explorer forum for showing me how to do is and mountaineergree too...thanks:D

DSC01350.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some 97s like mine have the speed sensor inside the awd transfer case. late 97 and up it got moved to the rear diff I think. If you had an electrical plug to take out of your awd transfer case this is the problem and the kind of case im lookin for. Im not sure what the workaround is.

I was just sent a replacement for my awd tcase that doesnt have the sensor :( no speedometer for me. Was yer awd transfer case good? how many miles etc? 4bolt style or 6 bolt cup style. Have the front driveshaft is it in use or not? If these are the parts I need and decent condition lemme know price. Im on west coast of FL.

Thanks

I'll go and take a look to those sensors tomorrow thanks dude, umm Yes i still have the old AWD case if u want it and also i might the old drive shaft!! im not 100% sure on the shaft but I'll definetley let u know by tomorrow afternoon....

That'd rock if yer case has the electrical connector and you have the driveshaft and both in decent shape, I just bought one of each that are junk.. so pissed. The driveshaft i got the rubber boot has a slice in it wont last.

I know the guys converting from awf to 4wd had to have been doing something to get the speedometer working, maybe making the leads longer to the back? Ive also heard theres speed sensors in all 4 of are wheels.
-Mike

If your awd transfer case doesnt have an electrical connector which is for the speedo, I think its on the rear diff. mid 97 and up are on rear diff 96 to mid 97 are in the awd transfer case. Im sure someones thought of a workaround. Ive heard the wheels have speed sensors in them. But not sure.

If your awd transfer case doesnt have an electrical connector which is for the speedo, I think its on the rear diff. mid 97 and up are on rear diff 96 to mid 97 are in the awd transfer case. Im sure someones thought of a workaround. Ive heard the wheels have speed sensors in them. But not sure.

Nope. For '95-97, the vehicle speed sensor is on the rear output of the transfer case. It was not 'moved' for 98-01, but was done away with entirely. For 98-01, the vehicle speed is determined by the ABS control module using the ABS sensors, and the VSS signal is sent out from there. For the 95-97s, the ECU/PCM and the GEM used its own separate vehicle speed signal, but it was measuring the exact same thing as the rear axle's ABS sensor, so they integrated them.

Man that sucks if theres no workaround... thanks for the info gijoecam.
-Mike

I have a 96 5.0L, it had the speed sensor in the AWD t case

my new F0150 98 BW 4406 t case had no speed sensor

So I located the parts and added one
Pictures!

Took me about 1.5 hours to get this hole cut in the output shaft to house the ball bearing. 1/4" ball bearing from hardware store.
I used a dremmel motor with a metal cutting ball tip, it was slow going, measuring, cutting, testing the fit:

The speedo drive gear is held to the output shaft with the new bearing and hole:

There is a clamp collar that goes behind the speedo gear once it is pulled 100% over the bearing to make sure its locked in place

Tailhousing cleaned:
AWD case (fore) compared to new 4406 with tailhousing and speed sensor installed.

detailed in my BW4406, AWD to 4x4 conversion thread

Your truck wont run for Shi& without the correct VSS signal to the PCM

Just thinking out loud.... could you get the proper signal by tapping into the rear axle speed sensor, then passing it through a 'black box' like a Tru Speed speedo recalibrator module? (Forget the exact name, but I've seen them in the Summit Racing catalog and other places) I wonder if the signal would be close enough? (I have no idea what the two signals look like on an oscilloscope.... Just thinking out loud)

-Joe

I got an engine light on and no speedo, but other than that its running fine,
-Mike

410 fortune is right cuz really my whole issue was just like pubenemy i had an engine light and no speedo but after droping the new BW 4406 and changing the plug for the speed sensor it worked just fine, actually now i think the speedo is marking more speed than what im really driving because for expample i'd driving with traffic and i know im doing42-45mph but it shows im doing like 53mph!! but besides that i gotta say i love my new t-case is great...!!

Ohhhh and yes i sitll have the old AWD t-case if u want it..... its got 90K miles on castrol syntetic oil and it is on perfect shape so if u would like it just let me know and we work something out any time....and also if you need anything else let me know cuz i can get parts for any ford @ really good price.........glad i could help ya..!

Off topic a bit...but looking at the 2nd picture in this thread...you are in dire need of some sway bar links. The rattle has to be driving you nuts!

get your speedo signal fixed, your shifting will be all screwed up until you get the correct speedo signal to the computer

pre 98 computer = old style VSS signal, trying to use the 98 style speedo signal into a pre 97.5 computer = disaster...

lololololol yeah i know go figure...!! i know i should've put the pics from the left side cuz those are in better shape...
Anyways i did get the speedo working but my speed is off like 5mph cuz i drove by this school zone and you know how they usually put those speed radars well it said i was going 15 when my speedo was marking 20?? so now im stuck again..!! any suggestions?? cuz idk if i could calibrate the speedo or maybe its got to do with the speed sensor in the t-case.....

Back