So can everyone post pics and write up on how they did their double din install.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So can everyone post pics and write up on how they did their double din install..

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I am wanting to put a flip out tv and my radio in my explorer..so it be a double din install, can people who have a double din hook up in there explorer, can you write up how to do it..and post some pics..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only have a couple of pics so I will try to be thorough in my write up.
First, you have a '98 so you are good, I have heard the 95-97's have a double-DIN face but behind the face is not a double DIN unit because the air vent takes up too much space. A single DIN unit is 50 mm, the opening of the dash (around the face of the stock HU) is 100 mm, so we know it will fit, but the opening of the dash (behind the face of the unit) is only 91 mm. If you remove your HU you will see there is a ledge that is there to keep the HU from sliding back too far. That ledge will need to be removed. Then I mounted the E-DIN mounting sleeve(the metal box that the unit slides into) in the opening just like you would for a single DIN unit and had to mount the second unit to it.
E-DIN
I took some extra care at this point to permanently install the HU and EQ to try and prevent theft.
Now the units are installed, now for the cosmetic stuff. With the units installed I had a gap around the entire opening which didn't look good.
Gap
I had already purchased the Schosche and Metra kits trying to make it work, when they didn't work they became donor parts. I trimmed the edge of the face (to the kit) and installed it around my units. Remember the units are mounted to the bezel, so this is all cosmetic now. It filled in the gaps nicely. Here is the finished product.
Installed
If you look at the sides, you can see the pieces from the install kit just filling in the gaps.

Hopefully this helps, if not email me and I will help as much as I can. Here are some other links that I did right after I did the install.

Dead Link Removed

Double DIN

What is this E-chassis thing that all you guys talk about when you use your double din?

See the metal box that is under my EQ,
E-Chassis

That is a E-Chassis, it gets mounted in the dash and then the HU slides in and locks into the E-Chassis.

addkev--- how good is that kenwood eq?
Pete

P.S. I know it's off topic, sorry!

Mines not a double din, just a single din monitor with the metra kit, but here it is anyway

fd6292b3.jpg.orig.jpg

how good is that kenwood eq?

It is really good. It comes with 6 preset EQ curves and you can customize 3 additional curves. And it is instant, you don't have to adjust it or play with it, you can put in a rap CD and push a button for heavy bass and then put in a rock CD and change to a Rock curve. Plus, I wanted to be able to control every speaker individually(make it louder, or change the freq cut offs), with this EQ you can do that, including the sub. And it has a really cool display that has like 12 different ways to show the EQ. I am more into clarity and quality than just bass, so it was a good choice and it was on EBay for like half the retail.:D

Double Din Install

I have the almost the same setup with the Kenwood EQ (Which is Great for SQ Concerned People) and I have the Kenwood KDC-X959 installed underneath it. I actually did a lot of hunting but found out there is a double Din kit that works but you do need to cut the lip in the dash and it takes some figureing out on how to get it to work but mine worked out fine. I initially had a LCD installed above a RF 9300 but since swithched over for SQ and went with the setup listed above. I only have the Mids and Highs going to EQ and I am running external amps on everything but My system is loud and sounds great. I will try to post some pics tommorrow. I really did not mind cutting the dash since I have the Dash surrounding the center console stuff painted to match the Exterior color as well as the center console (Cup Holders and Storage area).

anyone known if a TV will sit inside the double din hole?? I was thinking of doing this but was worried about the viewing angles on the TV... replace the headunit inside the glove box or something to that extent...

A 7 inch widescreen that they sell on ebay will almost fit perfectly in the double din area. Just some minor trimming and you're set.

yes it does.. very nice.

I kind of wish I had 2 components to put in mine.. I didn't like the look of the metra kits.. so I messsed around with custom making a kit, and this is what I came up with

19861_92_full.jpg

its not clean enough for me.. I have dreams of re-doing it with fiberglass and retrofitting it to allow a standard din to fit in the opening with the stock trim plate that comes with the deck to keep things clean..... but that may take a while since its low priority

I posted the pics on my sounddomain page today so if you want to look at my setup here is the link

Matt's Sounddomain page

I dont think or hope this will change to topic but does anyone have a hookup so they can put their laptop in the X and hook it up to their stereo. I want to do this so I can play mp3s off a hard drive and so I can play DVDs and have hte sound come out of the speakers. Thanks all
Gary

Actually not that hard.

Well depending on your head unit is how hard this really and a little on the laptop you want to use.

If you head unit has Aux Input's like most of the mid-range to upper end units do you can get an adapter to go from the laptop to the head unit at Radio Shack or maybe even walmart. The adapter will go from a headphone type plug to RCA type plugs. Or if you have a laptop like mine you may have RCA out's on the laptop and be able to plug directly into the head unit. If you do not have Aux input's it could be a little more tricky since you would have to get and speaker level to rca adapter (Usually Circuit city has these) and run RCA's from your laptop to the head unit that way.

Just my thought's but I am sure other's will agree.

But I can't tell you how good that sound, Probably not that great.

Matt

addkev You install looks great!

Thanks, I really like it. I wasn't the first to do it, but I was the first to actually get pictures posted with sort of a write up, at one point I thought I had totally screwed up and wasted a lot of money by trying to make it work but I am totally happy with the way it turned out.

I have some tips for those that are going to do it, if and when you are ready let me know.

Kevin

Curious I am looking into doing a double din install but there is something I am alittle un clear about, how is the radio actually mounted in the openning ?

At the current momment I have an alpine 7965 in a metra kit and it is loose and rattles like hell. When I was working on it , it looked liked all that was holding it in the openning was the metra kit and the radio wasn't attached to anything else. Is there something I am missing ?

If so does anyone have a pic so I can see what it should look like ?

Thanks Guys

Your rattling problems are because you have a plastic kit mounted inside a plastic frame. That is why I didn't use the kit. I mounted the E-Din metal cage in the dash and used that as my platform to mount the second chassis(EQ), I have no rattles and it has never skipped.

Can you be more specific on how you mounted the E cage ? Did you just pull the taps to hold it in place or did attach it to something.

Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at this picture.

E-Chassis

See how the tabs bend to mount the chassis to the dash. If you bend those and get them real tight and use as many as possible, that will be rock solid. Then you can mount what ever you want to that. Some might consider mine as "rigged up" because I mounted the EQ to the HU, but it is solid. I'll guarantee that.

Back