SOA - Welding Options

Glasken

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, it's time for an SOA on my rig.

I've been asking around my locale for a shop to do the weld, and everyone I have spoken to is asking upwards of $300 to weld the perches and do a bead around where the tube and diff case meet. That is more than I have invested into the axle itself after having bought it, done an LS rebuild, and given it new brake hoses and pads, so I am a little adverse to spending that much.

I have a dicky little 110 stick welder that I use for small projects, but I have never used it on 1/4" steel and certainly not on a structural component. I am wondering if any of you that have experience doing this under similar conditions could offer any tips to make this a successful weld, or if I am going to need to bite the bullet and pony up.

Thanks!

I welded on my new spring plates for my soa using a miller 135 set at 10 (max) and the wire feed somewhere around 6.

The factory perches are barely welded on. You can see they just have a few large spot welds. When I welded mine I welded it all the way across and I even got it on the inside where I could reach. I used 030 flux core wire as I'd have to crank up the gas if I tried to weld outside (it's always breezy/windy here).

Thread where I did it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/another-soa-in-progress.391276/

They have been holding up for about over 3 years with no issues.

As for welding the tube to the pumpkin, that's pretty thick metal and I think you'll need a bigger welder for that. The Tube isn't that thick but the flange on the pumpkin is.

~Mark

Thank you for the quick reply, I'll have a look into the other thread. My buddy has a 110 mig welder that I might be able to talk him out of for a weekend. Makes me feel better knowing someone else has managed this mod themselves without much issue, so thank you for that!

Back