Soft Ride Lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soft Ride Lift

KTMpat

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've owned several (8) 4x4s and prefer a stock ride... lifted or not. In my current Navajo, I desire a 2 inch lift and want the stock (read it SOFT) ride. I seem to remember a lift kit called "Soft Ride x..". Was it Skyjacker Soft Ride? Anyway, can anyone tell me about or where to go for a 2 inch lift without stiffness. I already have 30" BFG and the Gabriel VSTs, so I dont wan't a redesign or recommendation to 4 inch lift, thanks. I favor going with the Warrior shackles in rear vs add-a-leaf, unless there is a good argument... I don't tow or carry heavy loads. Thanks in advance. Pat.

p.s. Anyone with experience with the Soft Ride.. and is it soft? ... or just marketing angle? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AirLift air springs

I just installed a set of AirLift air springs on the truck and they can bump up the rear anywhere from 0" to about 4" depending how much pressure you put in them. The ride is terrific and they were a snap to install. I got them 'cause I tow but I've been experimenting with different settings and the suspension stays pretty soft wherever you set them. They have a progressive rate to them and I'd recommend them except for radical off-roading where the suspension travel could potentially stretch and break them if you were doing some radical rock crawling.

KTMpat,

SkyJacker makes "soft ride" lifts but I thinks they start at 4".

The James Duff front coil springs from the 2.5" lift ride very soft (I keep the rs9000's set at 4 or 5 on the road and they are progressive rate. If you were to use a James Duff lift and change the stock springs + duff supplied overload springs with a set of OME 2.5" springs I think you would be very happy.

We just finished a 2k mile trip over the weekend and I can't believe how well it road. It was better than it was stock (smoother)... I'd almost say it rode as well as the new car like suvs.

Since we don't have sway bars on our '92 I did have to stiffen the suspenion once we got off the long highway runs (once we got to colorado).

If you don't want much lift you can always use a 1" spacer for the front and the Warrior shackles to get about 1" of lift and keep the stock ride. (since you still have the stock springs)

Skyjacker make the Soft-Ride Suspension I to believe they start at 4". I have the 4" kit and to my seat atleast they are soft.

thanks, now about leveling coils

Whats this about leveling coils... 1 1/2 inches? How soft are those? Anyone??? thanks.

Hey Pat, Mark @ ORW here. Well, this could go on and on. Everyone has their own opinions on what rides good and what rides "soft". Any aftermarket spring is gonna' firm it up. There are no spring mfrs that make a truly "soft" spring that will hold up under abuse. They term it "Softride" because compared to other mfrs springs they are just that, a softer ride. So, to your last question, I've run the 2" Skyjacker coils and i liked them. I don't like a stiff ride and ran these with Bilstein Shocks and they rode shweet. I'd recommend installing an add-a-leaf kit instead of the shackles though. The shackles actually 'load' the springs and will cause them to sag prematurely, also on the rear of the Explorer and Navajo, when you've got the extended shackles or replacement springs, your shocks tend to hit the axle housings quite frequently due to added flex and articulation. You definitely want the articulation and travel, but when you're on a budget?...you want to go with whatever is most reliable and won't incur damage to any other components yeah?...Mark

I'd say the Add-a-Leaf is going to stiffen up the ride too much. We added an add-a-leaf to our 1992 and it definatly stiffened up the suspension. We had close to 200k miles on it when we added the add-a-leaf so we like having it slightly stiffer. The Shackle seems to be the best solution if you want to keep your ride the same. You don't get much more articulation with the shackles and we never hit the shocks on the axle until we went to the OME springs with the longer shackles.

If your springs are weak then the add-a-leaf is the way to go in my opinion.. if they are still somewhat new then I would use the shackles.

As for the front, from what I've heard from people, the 2" leveling coils are stiffer than stock. You can get progressive springs which are also slightly taller (1" lift) which might work better for you. If you really like your ride as it is you could just put in 1" spacers under the coil spring which would keep the front as close to stock as possible.

No matter what you do, the ride will change some since you are messing with suspension.. Also, keep in mind that new springs will be stiffer no matter what until they break in (unless they are really really soft).

thanks guys

The reason Im looking at new springs is that the front wheels appear to have slight negative camber, indicating weak or sagging front coils. The truck sits fairly level, maybe a tad higher in the rear still, but the rear springs are stiff, mainly due to the overload spring. Im thinking of pulling that out of the rear, but then may need to get the rear up an inch since upon removal it may sag back there. So quite possibly, a one inch front spacer might do the job, and then play it by eye after I remove the overload spring in rear... possibly use the warrior shackle or not. I had add-a-leaf on another vehicle and did not like it. Anyone know how much the rear will drop if I pull the overload spring? Thanks, Pat

Pat, if your front coils are sagging, and you install a coil spacer they will sag even more. Coil spacers and tension to the front coils and cause them to wear quicker than usuall. Coil spacers ae not all than good of a solution to a sagging front end. If you want to get an inch or so, MOOG Cargo Coils are the way to go. they are slightly firmer than stock, but they give you the hight you are looking for w/o changing the geometry of the susp. all that much. The coils are a taller spring w/ a slight increase in the spring rate. Rick Connors

If you remove the overload spring I think you will actually lift the back end of the truck up. You should not be sitting on the overload now (unless your loaded). Since the explorer is a spring under when you remove a leaf it lifts the rear end.

I agree with Mark, If your coils are sagging already I wouldn't recommend the coil spacers as they seem to make them sag faster. I would use a set of progressive rate leveling coils (slightly taller with a better ride)

The same goes with warrior shackles.. If your springs are already weak it will just make it worse.

If your suspension is already worn then replacement may be your best option. The cheap lifts do work but they don't last as long as new components..

New Springs

Hey Guys! Try calling National Spring. They will make a custom set of springs for the front and rear. They can make it ride any way you want it to! Plus they can lift the truck I think up to 2.5 front and rear. Also you can try Dever spring but they are in Santa Ana (Orange County).

Hope that helps!

If you remove a leaf from the rear leaf pak it will lower the vehicle. How much! I do not know. the over load spring does'nt usually give you that much hieght, more support than anything.Its designed to help w/ loads not for hieght.
see ya Rick Connors

Mark,
Why would removing the overload lower the truck? The overload is almost 1/2 (actually a little less) thick. Since it is a spring under it will lift the vehicle the same thickness of the spring. As I understand it the overload doesn't lift the springs.. just support it when there is weight on it (more than the main springs can handle)

The overload spring is on the bottom of the leaf pak. If anything it would do nothing. Since it sits on the bottom of the bottom of the leaf pak, and the leaf pak is mounted under the axel. The overload spring does'nt touch the axel at all. The rear axel sits on to of the leaf springs. But the overload spring actually holds a little bit of the weight at all times. Rick Connors

lots of good feedback

so... I was earlier (1-2 months ago)in ORW and was told for a 2" lift to specify "soft ride" and application for a "two door" versus four door. That would best meet my needs. I can't remember the exact brand, but based on that and the feedback here, I will be going that route. T'was about $120 for the front coils... Mark/Rick @ORW, any brand or part number come to mind? :)

For the rear, perhaps the combination of adding a leaf and removing the overload spring will be correct. I know when I jump on the rear bumper, I can get the leafs to hit the overload spring and STOP and rebound quite firmly. Guess I can always get a 100 pound sandbag for the back to help break-in the add-a-leaf.

Thanks.

Although it's under the axle, removing the overload spring will LOWER the rear (been there, done that).

I would not recommend removing it unless you want to soften up the rear a bit and can afford the loss of lift. However I would recommend removing it with the addition of an add-a-leaf or you'll end up with kidney damage (again, been there, done that).

I went out to the truck to look at the springs again.. and yup.. sure enough.. if you pull a leaf either nothing happens or is gets lower. If the spring pack was like the OME springs (which we now have) then it problably wouldn't move if you removed the overload. The overload on the OME springs are bent downward and the rest of the spring pack is barely touching them (other than in the center).. On the stock springs the overload seems to be trouching the springs much more.

Back