Soft top Explorers

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
How many have people have done soft top conversions to their explorer? I want to do this but would like to see other trucks first. Any pics would be great, i need some ideas of how to seal near the windshield and at the tops of the doors.

Mine is a 2 door and i plan on leaving the door frames, channels and the 'gill' windows. I want to cut out the roof all the way to the windshield and remove the quarter window areas. I will also be installing a roll cage. Has anyone modified existing tops, for a jeep or other vehicle, or is it best to just start from scratch?

Pictures if possible would be great. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you searched? There's been several. FAKRWEE comes to mind, start there.

I did a little and found one truck, but the pictures he had were not up close shots. I am curious to see how many guys have done this.

Thanks for the lead.

did you read that thread, not only does he still have it, it is a work in progress, and he is working hard on it too ,

I don't think Turdle has that truck anymore. I'm pretty sure he sold it and is wheeling a 2nd gen now. Maybe he sold it to someone on the forum and it's still around.

Well in fact I just got the white truck and haven't even driven it yet. Workin' out some bugs.:hammer::hammer:

And yeah, I still have the ol Mounty.

No, I didn't read the thread. I scanned it and got confused with this picture
d1_3.jpg

The reason I thought he sold it is because that's my bumper. I guess I bought the bumper from the same guy Turdle bought the truck from.

The reason I thought he sold it is because that's my bumper. I guess I bought the bumper from the same guy Turdle bought the truck from.

Yeah well give it back:p::D

You have a nice bumper sir--lol

I realize there is no ready made top. That is why I need some ideas to make one. I want to know what other guys have done. Any ideas and especially up close pics would be great.

Turdle, how does the top seal at the tops of the doors? Was the body cut at the seam where the roof panel is welded to the door frame? Does it use a clip type fastener like a jeep? Or is it snapped all the way? Is there a solid frame that bolts to the sheetmetal somehow?

Do you have problems with the top sealing along the top of the windshield? How does it seal all around the vehicle?

I got some ideas on how to construct this. I'm just fishing for a little more information. I can make about anything, I just need a plan before i act.

Thanks all,

Back