*Solved*. (Defective, faulty) fuel pumps. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*Solved*. (Defective, faulty) fuel pumps.

@Fix4Dirt = Best free tip that leads to overall fuel pump longevity. Fuel pump is kept cool by being immersed in fuel.

Add to it changing the fuel filter every 2 years. Backpressure (clogging) at the fuel filter really wears on the fuel pump.

But sadly, due to the coke can size of the fuel filter, the 80 percentile of owners think "nah, it's OK" and thus don't change it as often as it should be.
ah makes sense then. i change the filter every few years and yeah dont run it low. makes sense now 😂

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brand / term "Walbro" could create some confusion in certain circles.....thats the term I use when telling my buddies I'm heading to Walmart... :p ;)

I like the Bosch pumps also, plus those have been among the cheapest(under $50 on eBay).

I change my fuel filter every 30k. I think that’s what the book recommends?

I should cut it open and see how dirty it is. Although they’re cheap and when you change them regularly, they’re a snap to change.

That first time though? Fffffffff

Pour the old fuel out of the inlet side of the filter, that usually shows you how much material it collected.

^^^^ no need to cut it open.

as @CDW6212R says, turn the inlet side of the filter downwards, I'll add into a clear glass jar.

Once it settles, you will be shocked at what you see - seriously.

Ah okay. Im used to cutting oil filters open to check the media

Back