• Register Today It's free!

Some Questions for EB owners

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
I'm looking at buying a '99 "Eddie" with a 5.0 for my daily and for towing the trailer (of coarse knowing me, it'll be moded soon enough) Up 'til now I've only owned 2WDs so am hoping I can get some Questions answered.

Suspension-The Check Suspension light is on, Can that be read with a OBDII scanner? How many head-aches does the air ride system cause in the long run? How difficult is it to lift when it's on air?

Electrical- What kind of electrical problems should I be looking out for? What kind of a pain is it to service the Climate Control system? (my wife's old Sable took 16hrs to replace the $17 switch that controls the flap between A/C and heat)

Drivetrain-It needs front Wheel barrings, are they dearly expensive? Are there any common problems with the AWD setup? Tranny/T-case problems?

Are there any other major problems that I should be looking out for?

Well first off, is the X AWD?

As far as the suspension deal goes, I havnt a clue, I have a EB but it doesnt have the air ride (its a 97)

As far as climate control...its a VERY common problem on all explorer with EATC to have a blend door/blend door actuator problem. To get to either of them its a PITA but it certainly wont take 16hrs! There shouldnt be any electrical problems unless its been in hurracane Katrina or something like that. lol.

Wheel baearing. Well they arent to expensive. I paid $100 bucks and it was pretty easy to change. As far as the tranny goes, you have the 4R70W which is a GREAT trans! Itll last you a very long time if proper maintenance has been done. Its a tough trans and would be good for hauling.

If your X does have AWD, then you might have a problem with it, A common problem is the chain stretches in them and you will no longer have AWD and its will POP dearly under load! You can take the front d shaft out if you do have that problem, but who knows how long it will go (I had mine out for over a year/20,000 miles and still working) But, a GREAT fix to this t-case is to do a F-150 manual BW4406 conversion. I just got done doing it to mine, its not all that hard. Here is a link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726

But overall it will be a great vehicle, the 5.0 is a tough kickass motor!!

How many miles are on this EB?

Well first off, is the X AWD?

How many miles are on this EB?

Yes, it is a full time AWD
With 210,000KMs on it (aprox. 132,000 Miles for those that aren't on the metric side of the border)

The suspension isn't full air ride, it's got the same suspension as on my 2WD '97 but with "Self Adjusting Air Shocks" so if it becomes too much of a hastle to fix what ever is wrong with the system it shouldn't be too much of a pain to convert to regular shocks. It's just that the SAAS would be really handy when towing.

I haven't boughten it yet, it's on an "as is" lot at a local Ford dealership and they are being really **** about the price. I've missed out on a few that have been certified for the same price.

Back