Someone please help me im running out of options:( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Someone please help me im running out of options:(

splvictim21

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer sport
Someone please help me:(.

Alright guy's i need some help i have a 93 ford explorer and she's been running great all summer but as usual when the cold get's around all car's start to act up. Well here's issue im having in the warm or hot day run's fine no issues driving at all. Now let's say it's 45degrees or colder out will have problem idiling or when i go to put in reverse or drive it chugs etc...like want's to die. Now i've done number things to this truck. Here's what i have done

*brand new spark plugs/wireset
*Ect(engine coolant temp sensor)
*Iat (Intake air temp sensor)
*Iacv (Idle air control valve)
*Purge valve solenoid(This deff helped with the driving normal issue it was having it run to lean and wouldn't have no ball's at all but i fixed that issue).

Well guy's found 3 bad wires they clips on wires weren't holdn down. so replaced wires and upgraded to bosh since duralast ****ty quality. also found out the plastic intake tube that comes from bottom of the airfilter box was kinked and not running anywhere so i ran it to down under the bumper with some stretchy plastic tubing simmilar to stock one. now same thing warmer weather ran alot better better even how did before. but same bs when it get's cold drops in temp. act's up rpm's start to slowly surge up and down. I even went to ford tell em what was happening and no one could give me an answer

Part's ive checked igntion coil sprayed water at night getting no arch or spark. carb spray old skool trick no vaccumm leak's , Maf(mass air flow) check's out good as well also went and cleaned it with crc Maf cleaner as well. Next thing im gonna try is oil change im due one but instead running 10-30 run 5w-30 what you guy's think? and subsitute 1qrt for lucas oil stablizer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this when you are starting? Or as you drive it?

I would check your thermostat. It may be opening too soon and not allowing the engine to warm up.

It just when it's at idle when it's real cold out but like i said when it's warm out run's great. hmmmm....thermostat i never thought of that.

The rough idle up and down is the engine trying to warm itself up. Its normal for the engine, but not for an extended period of time.

The rough idle up and down is the engine trying to warm itself up. Its normal for the engine, but not for an extended period of time.

yeah i think this is more then that cause when u go to put it in drive act's like want's to stall almost cause rpm's surge up and down at idle. then give it a sec give it little gas and idle will be alright.

really do appericate your help also bro. any other ideas what could be besides thermostat?

I'd probably stick with the 10w-30. With an older engine its much better to run the thicker oil than the thinner. Even in winter. Unless you live in Alaska I mean.

Try running some injector cleaner through it. Greased Lightning (Oreilly's only) works really well. I would recommend Seafoam, but since it has the potential to clog the plugs and you just replaced them, its probably not a good idea.

But, dollars to donuts its the thermostat. You might want to get one with a higher heat rating. IIRC, OEM is 195*, but some aftermarket use 175*-180*.

I'd probably stick with the 10w-30. With an older engine its much better to run the thicker oil than the thinner. Even in winter. Unless you live in Alaska I mean.

Try running some injector cleaner through it. Greased Lightning (Oreilly's only) works really well. I would recommend Seafoam, but since it has the potential to clog the plugs and you just replaced them, its probably not a good idea.

But, dollars to donuts its the thermostat. You might want to get one with a higher heat rating. IIRC, OEM is 195*, but some aftermarket use 175*-180*.

alright man yeah that's what i been running is 10w30 valvoline maxlife and i have a mobil filter so i will use that filter. i get payed/work 2morro so i will pick up a thermostat. so your sayn get a 195 thermostat right? and injector cleaner bout every other oil change i run lucas fuel injector cleaner through it.

Yeah.

Well guy's i went drained all oil out today on oil change did valvoline maxlife 10w-30 with mobil 1 oil filter and put in 1quart of lucas oil stablizer. after getting it all done let it run for bout 15mins let the lucas stablizer work it's way through motor because that stuff is so thick. So far so good no issues with running now maybe she just needed that stablizer seal up something that was losing little slight compression KNOCK ON WOOD. i can push the gas down now no hesistation , No rough up-down idle , runs alot smoother. motor barely shakes at all now. like i said knock on wood.

You didn't install the thermo?

Nope didn't end up doing that yet. so far she's running great(knock on wood).

Hope it stays that way. ;):thumbsup:

Back