Someone PLEASE HELP!!!

ZcSpec

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello gang,

I really need some help/advice on an issue with my 92' explorer sport. A while back ago, the 4x4 mode in my X worked fine. Just recently (roughly 2 weeks) my 4x4 mode stop working. When I push on the 4x4 button on the dash, I can hear like a "brain" click...but unlike before when I could physically hear the gears lock in and the 4x4 mode kick in, I no longer hear that. All that happens is the "brain" sounds like it is trying to do something, but the gears no longer engage. Have anyone or you had this problem??? please let as I'm going on a trip and towing my jet skis and will eventually need the 4x4 mode. PLEASE HELP!!! any advice would be appreciated!

thanks

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok go out to the truck and have someone push the 4x4 button while you whoop the shift motor on the transfer case with a rubber mallet. That should do it.

Are you kidding??

Thanks for the quick reply...but are you kidding? I'm totally new to the 4x4 thing and am afraid of breaking something with the mallet! Where exactly is the transfer case? In the back??? Sorry...total 4x4 newbie!

Peter

The transfer case is connected to the rear of the transmission, which is about under the front seats. The Tcase will have 2 driveshafts coming from it, hard to miss.

BTW, I deleted your duplicate posts, please don't do that.

Nope I'm not kidding one bit. Do a search on it and see what I mean.

Back