Something slipping under my 98 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something slipping under my 98 XLT

Arsoncop

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have a 98 4x4 sohc 4.0L, here lately it has started feeling like it is slipping when I start off from a stand still. I am not smashing on it, just a smooth start. At first I thought it was the Transmision, Now for some reason I think it maybe the rear end. It feels kinda funny. I had a Crown Vic that the trans was slipping and it was no question, it would slip then catch. but this feels differant. It is not making a noise. It only does it breifly and away I go. It does not shake the whole truck neither. I'm not sure if I have a limited slip rear end or not. If I did would it shake or slip like this? I have 130,000 miles on this unit, should I change the fluids in the tranny and rear end?? I read on the enternet that the fluid in the tranny and rear should last the life of the truck. I have never noticed a leak anywhere. Thanks for the replys

The rear axle can't really slip against itself because the Limited Slip Differential doesnt allow both wheels to slip at the same time. I would say its probably the transmission - the bands are just worn out.

Back