Sound Quality of aftermarket Radio in 06? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound Quality of aftermarket Radio in 06?

mulage

Reaction score
City, State
Central, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer AWD
New member here, I got a 2006 Mountaineer about 2 months ago and I am thinking about changing the radio in it.

I have the factory 6 disc cd changer head unit with the factory 8" subwoofer in the rear, my question is, if i change the factory radio to a aftermarket head unit will this effect the sound quality? the rearson i ask is because i had a mustang a few years ago with the mach audio and factory amps and i changed the radio in it and the sound was not as good as the factory head unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mach system in the mustang is a whole different monster. You have to be a few bricks short of a load to mess with it as its tunned and cost a mint for that quality in the first place.
Aftermarket is fine, just remember you have to add about 75 bucks to the cost of the head unit for the proper adapter. The factory unit uses canbus to control all the functions on the HU and the adapter and wiring harness will run you about 50 bucks, another 25 for the mount. Quality is the same if not a bit better. I went to a pioneer appradio 3 myself. Also, ford uses 3.3v on the amp remote line so you need to either buy a converter or just install a 2k ohm resistor in line on the remote line for the amp. Also there is no ground for the low power inputs on the metra kit, so you need to solder in a ground to the head unit from the low level out's or you end up with a popping noise due to a floating ground on the amp.

Ouch, 89 bucks. Not sure, but Im guessing yes. I went with this kit myself. It was closer to 50. http://www.metraonline.com/part/XSVI-5521-NAV

You also need an antenna adapter and that is around 8 or 9 bucks.

Do you have steering wheel controls? If you do the PAC system is a better deal, you need a second adapter with the metra unit.

yeah i have steering wheel controls, will i need the resister to keep the amp from "popping" with this kit?

and is there a write up on installing this resister and extra ground?

thanks for the help

and crutchfield sells you the install kit for half-price if you buy a radio from them

I would have to see how the wires are routed, but I bet you will need a resistor because the 5v supply comes off the deck remote wire. Unless it runs through the adapter and there is some type of voltage divider inside for it. Just grab a 2k ohm resistor from radio shack, newark, or some other electronics supply. Shouldn't cost more than a nickle. Solder it in line on the remote line. There will be enough drop across the resistor that it will be close enough to 3 volts so there will be no pop.

Try and contact crutchfield. They should be able to tell you if you need it or not, although they will probably try and sell you a 10 dollar adapter with a 5 cent resistor all covered up in heat shrink and a wire soldered on either end..

yeah i have steering wheel controls, will i need the resister to keep the amp from "popping" with this kit?

and is there a write up on installing this resister and extra ground?

thanks for the help

and crutchfield sells you the install kit for half-price if you buy a radio from them

Thinking of using same radio and kit from crutchfield. Did you need resistor??

I ended up just using a PAC aux adapter that plugs inline between the factory radio harness and oem radio, sounds great. I have it plugged into a bluetooth adapter to stream music and phone calls wireless

Total project cost me 69$ total

I decided i like the way the factory stereo sounds too much to change anything

I just put a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX in my '06 Mountaineer Luxury with factory sub. I used the PAC RP4-FD11 with no added resister and the factory sub is fully functional with no pop. SWC and RAP are also fully retained, and RSE control can be fully retained as well if you have it. I'd say it's well worth the $90 price, though I found mine on eBay for closer to ~$80. I will recommend that you trim ~1/2 of the slack from the PAC wires and from the Pioneer harness wires... you'll need a bit of slack to help position the PAC, but space is limited and leaving it all can make for a very tight fit.

Back