Spare part ordering issue? Please help.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare part ordering issue? Please help..

Guy Picciotto

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1995 Limited 4x4
Hi guys. I have 1995 Limited Explorer 4x4-Auto.. Because of the model year (this is the first year of production as you know) I have to double check the parts that I ordered from amazon. On the amazon, most of parts sellers define the production years of the second gen Explorer like 96-01 so I confuse to order right parts every time. I am living in Istanbul, Turkey therefore it is too hard to return wrong parts. Shipment costs always higher than the part costs.

I have to buy a new starter right now. I've found this part ("DB Electrical SFD0002 New Starter For 4.0L 4.0 Mazda B4000 Pickup 94 95 96 97, Navajo Motor 91 92 93 94, Ford Aerostar 90 91 92 93 94 95 96, Ranger, Explorer 91 92 93 94 95 96 Automatic Transmission ") on amazon. Seller is saying this part is fit for 95 Explorer. But I am confused. It's look like this part is fit for first gen of Explorer due to 91-96 model year. What do you think? Is this part fit or not to my Explorer?

PS. I defined my car on amazon, amazon says this one fits, but as I said before, I must double check due to far distance.

Here is the product link;

My second question is related with this isue. I've found the trans code which is below on this forum. On my cars door plate it is T for trans code. Amazon says I have 4R55E transmission, but below list saying it is A4LD. Which is correct?

Please help, and thanks in advance..

Transmission Codes

Code .................. Model
D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E
D (1992-1996)...... M5OD-R1
J ....................... M5OD-R1
J (2002-2003)...... R1HD / M5OD-R4
M (2000-2001)..... Mazda M5D4
M (1997-1999) .... M5OD-R2
M (1992-1996) .... M5OD-R1
R (2002) ............. 5R55W
T (1992-1995) ..... A4LD
T (1996-2001) ...... 4R55E

U ....................... 4R70W
V ....................... 5R55S
X ....................... 6R60

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that since its a 95, it should be the 4R55E. The A4LD was phased out for the 2nd gen i think... as for the starter, it should fit. however, i would wait for multiple opinions before just taking mine.

The 4.0 was unchanged, block wise, between the first and second gen.

You will have a 4r55e. And, it should fit.

I’d just get yours rebuilt.

$54? That starter is garbage. Check the reviews. 15% 1 and 2 stars.

The 4.0 was unchanged, block wise, between the first and second gen.

You will have a 4r55e. And, it should fit.

I’d just get yours rebuilt.

it is already rebuilt two times by local repairers but the problem contin
$54? That starter is garbage. Check the reviews. 15% 1 and 2 stars.
i think so, this my biggest concern. But i couldn't find any alternative part which is eligible to ship to my country:(
Do you suggest remy?

i think that since its a 95, it should be the 4R55E. The A4LD was phased out for the 2nd gen i think... as for the starter, it should fit. however, i would wait for multiple opinions before just taking mine.
thanks for your reply

What’s the issue? These trucks tend to eat the battery cables a foot or so away from the battery. When you mess with the truck you often disturb the cable enough to make it work again for awhile.

What’s the issue? These trucks tend to eat the battery cables a foot or so away from the battery. When you mess with the truck you often disturb the cable enough to make it work again for awhile.

Actually I dont have so much knowledge about this issues. But I saw my starter with my own eyes..It seems in very bad situation..The repairers dont have spare parts to rebuild the starter, Explorer is so rare in turkey, they made coal changing, some cleaning and said me this is in very bad situation, you can not find the parts you need in turkey so try to buy new one.

Do you familiar with any of these brand? Any suggestion? Which one I should buy? Of course price is matter, but there is nothing to do if I have to put up

of those, i reccomend the ACDelco or Bosch...
The Bosch is one of the brand that I know between these but I can not be sure about it is fit to Explorer..there is not enough information, just one comment which says it did not fit the car even seller say so

Oh, Ok! In that case, i guess the the ACDelco... i have a Bosch starter in mine... its been reliable for 100k... but by all means, in that case, go for the ACDelco

Oh, Ok! In that case, i guess the the ACDelco... i have a Bosch starter in mine... its been reliable for 100k... but by all means, in that case, go for the ACDelco
Thank you man, your help is very precious for me!

No problem! Let us know if you need anyone else! ACDelco is a great company as i also have some of their parts, and they've stood the test of time! Let me know what you think of the ACDelco! Stay safe!

That Bosch is the correct part number for your truck. Next time you are unsure RockAuto is a great part number reference.

Googling just the part number gave me many hits confirming it’s the correct part number.

Second the Rock Auto recommendation to find the right part then google that part or go to Amazon and search for the correct part #.
O'Reilly is another source I use to get the correct part number then search to find the best price.

Rebuilding my 04 Limited and got most of my parts from Amazon. Then after our First years membership expired and we re-joined they raised prices to the point O'Reilly and Rock Auto are very competitive. Only use them for their fast delivery now. But I'm currently impatiently waiting 9 days for my new Tranny solenoid pack and other parts -- very anoying...

Next time you are unsure RockAuto is a great part number reference.

Rock Auto's online catalog is the best there is - they are my 1st "go to" for obtaining the correct part numbers, and then I go out on the Internet and price Amazon and Ebay.

I can't tell you how many times when I'm "bench pricing" Rock Auto part numbers & prices verses Amazon's part numbers & prices, that Amazon says "this part does not fit the vehicle you have listed in our database" - and Amazon is wrong...

That Bosch is the correct part number for your truck. Next time you are unsure RockAuto is a great part number reference.

Googling just the part number gave me many hits confirming it’s the correct part number.
good advice, i am gonna follow this next time, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second the Rock Auto recommendation to find the right part then google that part or go to Amazon and search for the correct part #.
O'Reilly is another source I use to get the correct part number then search to find the best price.

Rebuilding my 04 Limited and got most of my parts from Amazon. Then after our First years membership expired and we re-joined they raised prices to the point O'Reilly and Rock Auto are very competitive. Only use them for their fast delivery now. But I'm currently impatiently waiting 9 days for my new Tranny solenoid pack and other parts -- very anoying...
I'll keep in my mind for next time, thanks

Back