Spare Tire & Dual Exhaust Problems... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire & Dual Exhaust Problems...

I just got my X setup with dual pipes and a flowmaster 40 - it sounds great. My problem is that the shop said there was no way to get around the gas tank, brake lines, etc and keep the spare tire. Not thinking about the consequences of having a flat... I said sure why not. Now I'm really starting to think about what I can do to keep the spare tire.

I've got about 26" of clearance underneath with the dual pipes - so there is no way the full-size spare will fit. I'm running 31" MTR's but held onto the original Wrangler spare that was there. My question is can i get by with say a 25" spare tire just incase I did have a remote break-down? Its a 4x4, but open differentials so maybe if the small tire was only used for a short distance it would work? Kinda like having a large donut. Is this crazy or maybe possible?

Other options are a Roof Rack or just going back to a single pipe. Keeping it inside isn't an option as we carry our 2 golden retrievers around back there.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant really help you with the spare tire size issue, but if you ask me, the shop that did the exhaust didnt know what they were doing. There are several people, including myself, that have dual exhaust and still have the spare tire in its stock location. As for the brake lines, the shop that did mine just made a small bracket and relocated the box a few inches higher to get it out of the way. I have had no problems and I am totally satisfied with my setup. You can click the link in my sig and there will be pics of the way the pipes are run if you want to check that out. Good luck.

Shops say it's not possible because they're too lazy to put the extra effort into making it possible. Plan and simple.

Perhaps you could get a donut and keep it for a spare?

Thanks for the input... those pictures really help to. I'm headed back Monday and we'll see if they are so incompetent that they can't follow the pictures.

How much?

How much did you guys pay for duals? The only place I found that would do it was midas, and they said around $1200 bucks..that sounded kinda steep to me...it comes with everything....

A custom single setup should cost around $200-250. A dual setup $450-500 in general.

Danny,

The dual setup saturday was $290.00 for everything - but that was when I was stupid and said it was fine to go without the spare tire.

Yesterday took it back and showed them the pictures from 98FordX24's site and had them re-do everything. Cost me $150 more - but that could have been avoided if I hadn't said "ok" to their work before. They ended up cutting me a bit of a deal on it anyway because it took longer to cut and peice the new system together instead of just 1 bent pipe for each side.

You should be able to get it done for around $300.00 total (muffler, tips and labor). But don't let them say you can't keep the spare.

98FordX24 - those pics really made the difference, thanks!

Oh, my pipes don't exit at the rear corners like his though they exit just inside the shackles. Just shows there are a few options.

I have dual exhausts and a stock spare fits under there just fine. I can't use it cause I have AWD but it does fit. I have a full size spare in the trunk and it does not fit but I wouldn't put a $500 wheel and tire under there anyway. If I had a larger spare under there when I had it done, I am sure that he could have made it work...

When I ask my muffler guy how he does it, he simply says, "It's magic!" :D

When I get my exhaust redone this spring, I will make it fit... garanteed!

Back