Spare tire emergency tools question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire emergency tools question

2Forty

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I bought the truck not too long ago and the previous owner removed the rod, bottle and wheel handle, so if I have flat I'm stuck

Except the Sport Trac, witch other Ford use the same spare emergency tools?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked out the wrecking yards around your location?

Not yet, Sport Trac are something rare around here, and I'm pretty sure people will find this interesting to see what is compatible with what.

I would think Explorers, Rangers.

If you're really in a bind and just need to lower the spare, try a LONG and wide tipped flat
blade screwdriver through the hole above the center of the bumper. A PITA, but it works.

If I remember correctly my 2nd gen Explorer had pretty much the same tools. The bottle jack and lug wrench/pry bar were in a compartment in the rear drive's side cargo area near the rear hatch. The other parts were behind the 2nd row seats. Fold them down and lift the filler panel on the back of the passenger side 2nd row, it's almost like a hidden compartment. I have a feeling even the 1st gen had them, too. But I haven't owned one of them for a long time and can't remember for sure. My 3rd gen Explorer does not have the same tools.

I bought the truck not too long ago and the previous owner removed the rod, bottle and wheel handle, so if I have flat I'm stuck

Except the Sport Trac, witch other Ford use the same spare emergency tools?

I own both Explorers and an ST. I've never actually compared them, but as far as I can see the Explorer and ST use the same jack and wheel tools. Salvage yard or eBay.

Yes. It is in the super secret compartment behind the rear seats. But don't tell anyone. Dave P.

Yes. It is in the super secret compartment behind the rear seats. But don't tell anyone. Dave P.

Oh man, now everyone's going to know where the jack is located. Spoiler!

The difference between the Explorer jacks and tools and those for the Sport Trac is that the ST jack has holes in the base to clip into the storage bracket. The Explorer jacks don't have the holes because they use a different bracket. And I'm pretty certain the 1st and 2nd gen Exs use the same jack and tools.

Back