spare tire ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spare tire ?

I am fairly new to offroading and hate to sound dumb here but if I put 32's on my x, do you have to have the same size spare? Ive been doing a lot of research and I read on here the biggest tire that will fit in the underneath wheel well is a 31 inch tire. So say I have 32's and keep a 31 under there as a spare, is that do-able??? can you have 32's on and one 31 inch tire to get to the nearest service station? any info would greatly help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone, please?

Most places require a full size spare. A 31" tire may not fit under the truck especially if you have a round tube hitch installed. You can either place a spare tire vertically in the rear compartment or possibly on the roof. Then again your 31 may fit, measure the distance and see if its 30.6" or so..

what do you mean most places, I mean is it ok to use a smaller spare than your other tires, will it hurt the car to be a little lopsided or something?? I mean ive seen cars with "donuts" for a spare but I dont want to hurt the truck.

Most official ExplorerForum runs require a full-sized spare for your safety and that of the group.

If you have a limited slip or locker then you absolutely need the same sized spare, or you'd need to rotate with an axle that has an open diff.

When offroad, a mismatched spare is no good; and running like that on the road for a long period of time can damage/wear your suspension, steering, brakes, and other tires.

It wont hurt to have that 31 to untill you get it fixed. Yea you man wear your tires while doing it but its definatly ok. If you go offroading you might be able to get away with it since its only an inch off. I have 31's and the place that put them on sold me a used 31 for $10 and it fits under the back even with a tubular trailer hitch.

Back