• Register Today It's free!

spark plug change in a 4.6l

MrPulldown

Reaction score
City, State
Truckeee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4wd, 4.6l
Got some new plugs hoping that it will gain me some MPGs. Old ones are at about 50K SP493. Someone on this forum recommenced changing them to increase MPG. I figured why not as it was relatively cheap to buy. I pulled one of the front plugs to inspect. Looked ok. Before pulling the rear plugs I want to have a new plug on hand in case they are bad. I kind of suspect that someone might not have changed out the rear plugs as they look a little harder to get to.

Before I start I wanted to read up on the job. Looks like the rear passenger side plugs are kind of hard to get to. Surprised there is not a how-too that popped to the top of the search list. Anyone have tips to share, a favorite how-to to link.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trick is that you don't work from the top, instead stick the wrench with extention trough the wheel well (that works perfectly fine and you don't have to remove anything).

Thanks. Watched a couple of videos that were really no help.

I changed mine from the top with no issues, but make sure that the engine is stone cold so you don't take the cylinder head threads out with the spark plug.

If don't have a universal socket on an extension you can disconnect the the fuel rail.

I went and change those spark plugs this weekend. Figured I will complete this thread by documenting the job and adding a few bits of information which I learned.

Fist off I went and purchased a set of NGK 3403. I general I am a fan of NGK plugs and run them in most engines I own. Typically I would stick with the manufacture recommended: Motorcraft for Ford, Denso for Toyota. However I deviated this time and put both NGK plugs in my Ford and Toyota.The platinum tip of the NGK plugs are much finer than the ones found on the motorcraft SP-493. The current plugs had only about 50K on them (if the service records are correct). They however had a bit of wear. These are the MC plugs with NGK boxes. Laid out left to right from cylinder 1 to 8 (top to bottom on the second picture). I drew out a diagram on the box, and am pretty sure that is also the correct firing order and cylinder naming convention. The passenger side bank appeared to run leaner than the driver side. Cylinder #4 was the "leanest". The wear on each plug was also inconsistent. Some electrodes had more wear, others had more wear on the strap.
20200217_172433.jpg

20200217_172403.jpg

The NGK plugs I installed:

Job went pretty easily. Not sure the time it took as my wife and son where working on "their" project of installing a basket ball hoop that he received for Christmas. And of course their project is MY project. But it was a mid day project maybe 1 to 2 hours start to finish, working slowly.

Here are some tips I have for the job.

7mm, coil pack hold down bolt. WTF? Why not an 8mm like the rest of the engine world.
You should have a selection of extensions and swivels on hand prior to the job both in 3/8" and 1/4" drive. I would much rather have the tools then deal with pulling the fuel rail.
Each spark plug requires a different combination of swivels and extensions. In cylinder #6 or 7 I had to disassemble the extension and socket and fish the socket and spark plug out with a long bent nose needle nose pliers. You could have removed a small something or other on the fuel rail, but it looked like it would leak fuel. I rather not try to seal back up the fuel system if I did not have to.
I also had a 1/4" handled driver (like a screw driver) as the threads on the 7mm bolt holding the coils down are long. + I had a impact driver I used to remove bolts and spark plugs. Install was all done by hand.
Remove the upper airbox and rubber intake track.
Remove the 2 valve cover vent lines. These have a small release button. Feel around the plastic base of the connector. You will feel a protruding nub. Push in on the nub and it will release the catch. Took me a little while to figure out, as I am prying on the catch. This will give you more room to work and not have to remove anything else.
Everything else is pretty straight forward. Be careful with the coil pack's electrical connector. By this point in time, they are all pretty old and brittle. I broke one of the retainer clips and now have some tape securing the plug in place.

So far is seems like the engine is idling a tad more smoothly. Time will tell if I yielded any additional MPGs. I also added my ski rack for an upcoming visit of my family. I am sure any MPG gains seen from the plugs will be canceled out by the "air brake" I just added.

I bought a 7mm 1/4” drive flex socket strictly for the purpose of changing spark plugs on 4.6/5.4 engines. it has paid for itself 10 times over

I have bought a 3 pack of swivels. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives. Had used the 3/8 before. First time using the 1/4. 1/2 is still untouched.

I had made something like this (pic off the web) for driving the 7mm coil pack bolt. Came in very handy.
images

So 2 tanks of gas later, it does not appear that the new spark plugs have given me a boost in MPGs. Start up idle is a little rough. But it seems to run well with them in the car once up to operating temp. Oh well.

Plugs won't gain any fuel mileage. Injectors might see a little gain, but these engines, and most any engine, loses fuel mileage as the miles get put on. That doesn't even include all of the idling. Newer vehicles have a engine clock that records the idle time, along with total engine run time.

Back