• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Gapping Question

WudaCudaShuda

Reaction score
City, State
Standing Tall on the Quarterdeck
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4x4
I'm going to change my spark plugs tomorrow, went out and bought six Champion Platinum Power plugs today.

I thought these were already pre-gapped, but when I put them on the gapping tool they only measure .045 (Ford 2002 Explorer V6 4x4 I thought had a gap of .054).

Is this going to be a problem? SHould I regap them to .054?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, James.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take them back, Ford's don't like champion plugs.

What do you mean by "don't like"?

As in, don't perform well, won't start?

NGK Double Platinum Iridium Tip plugs

Thanks for the responses.

NGK Double Platinum Iridium Tip plugs

umm... plugs are either platinum or iridium, not both. And honestly still not as good as a copper plug in my opinion. The only reason for the platinum is to extend the life of a plug, not make a better spark.

umm... plugs are either platinum or iridium, not both. And honestly still not as good as a copper plug in my opinion. The only reason for the platinum is to extend the life of a plug, not make a better spark.

Hahah woops forgot the "OR" what do you like about the copper plug and how long they last. My original motorcraft were shot at 80k even though book says 100k

Hahah woops forgot the "OR" what do you like about the copper plug and how long they last. My original motorcraft were shot at 80k even though book says 100k

100k miles for a spark plug is just silly. They may still work well enough for the engine to run, but aren't going to perform like they should. 50k miles is usually a better change schedule for a platinum plug. Copper plugs last around 20-25k miles. The copper is more conductive than the platinum or iridium giving you a better spark, the trade off for it is they don't last as long. And the iridium plugs fall kind of in the middle spark quality wise and last about as long as a platinum plug.

by the time plugs reach 100K they can barely come out in one piece. By then the warranty is long over anyway so its your problem!

60K intervals are suggested for severe service.

Stick to motorcraft /autolite plugs for fords.

Any and all spark plugs should be re-gapped before installed.

true this.

Never expect the "pre-gapped" to be right. A feeler gauge is ridiculously inexpensive, and a must have in any self-respecting DIYer's toolbox.

"Trust, but verify." - Ronaldus Maximus

Never expect the "pre-gapped" to be right.

Recently replaced the plugs in my 2002 4.6L V8, and even though all the new plugs were 'pre-gapped', I checked them anyway. Turns out they were all right on.

On some of the prior comments, my original plugs were practically like new when I removed them for replacing, at 110K miles. I could have left them in. They even gapped correctly, as I checked them during removal.

I changed mine this past friday on the 4.0
0218111202.jpg

Old plug had a gap near 8.0
The odometer reads 102000, I am the second owner and am almost sure these are the originals. What a struggle to get them out !
Ive read on here that people have trouble removing the plug on the pasenger side near the fire wall. Theres really no need to go in through the wheel well. I just removed the cover to the air filter and removed the coolant vent hose on the reserve bottle.
After that it was easy to reach in and get to the plug.
Socket extensions and an air ratchet helped also
Before the plug change i was getting 13 mpg. After going on a short drive it went up to 15.
Tomorrows 20 mile trip to work should give a true reading

Spark Plugs

I had just completed a tune up this weekend in which I replaced plugs that I had put in about 20,000 miles ago. They were Bosch high end plugs. I replaced them with the OEM plugs and I could not believe how much of a difference there was in power and just a better ride over all. I would only use the motorcraft platinum plugs.

There ya go...

Take them back, Ford's don't like champion plugs.

As in don't perform so well. They like the motorcraft platinum, and autolite platinum plugs the best.

I am calling bunk on this one, especially the suggestion that AutoLite is a good plug. AutoLite has gone down the toilet as far as quality control is concerned. You cannot go wrong with sticking to Motorcraft, but Champion makes quality plugs and will perform just as well as Motorcraft...nothing for the engine to "like" or "dislike" about it.

Getting 15.5 mpg today
On a nother topic, I want to turn off the AWD doing the BWM but it looks like up Mounty owners cant do it?

The brown wire mod is for people with the auto 4wd. The auto 4wd includes AUTO, High, and LOW RANGE AWD does not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought these were already pre-gapped, but when I put them on the gapping tool they only measure .045 (Ford 2002 Explorer V6 4x4 I thought had a gap of .054).

I just bought Motorcraft spark plugs and also measured them at .045 and thought they should have a gap of .054. I called the vendor I bought them from, Motorcraft and a parts store, and they all said they are pre-gapped platinum spark plugs and not to try and re-gap them. They said re-gaping a platinum spark plug can damage the platinum coating, hence the reason they are sold pre-gapped. I'm still not sure why they don't measure out correctly, but I did not re-gap them and they work great.

Back