• Register Today It's free!

spark plug

1999redcobra

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
I am new here as you can all see. I have a 1998 explorer Sport with 110,000 miles on it. The spark plugs, and injectors havent been changed, so i was hoping someone could post a picture showing where they were at and how to change the plugs and injectors. I just bought the car this week is there anything else i should change/ do THANKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know. I just thought that with 110,x.. miles on it they would need to be changed, i must be mistaken. Im all new to this just trying to make this thing last as long as i can

I dont know. I just thought that with 110,x.. miles on it they would need to be changed, i must be mistaken. Im all new to this just trying to make this thing last as long as i can

It wouldn't hurt to run injector cleaner through them, but I see no reason to replace.

Good luck ....

How or what do you do to clean the injectors? Are spark plugs hard to change? Anything else should do?

Buy some fuel injector cleaner from any auto parts store. You add it to your gas tank when you fill up.

What fuel do you use?

I am new here as you can all see. I have a 1998 explorer Sport with 110,000 miles on it. The spark plugs, and injectors havent been changed, so i was hoping someone could post a picture showing where they were at and how to change the plugs and injectors. I just bought the car this week is there anything else i should change/ do THANKS

If you've been running a gasoline that had a detergent, you should be good. Techron is recommended by Ford to keep things running smoothly... and you can buy a bottle of Techron at Chevron (where they just happen to include Techron in their gas) :thumbsup:

Is something going on with the vehicle that makes suspect the fuel injectors, or is it just the high mileage that concerns you?

(And Welcome!)

Ohhhh! You just bought it... that makes a difference. I see where you're coming from. Where did you buy it from? It sounds like you want to change any parts that might give you problems down the road, no?

Yeah i just bought it, im just thinking of somethings that it could need. i dont know, i just dont want my money to go down the drain so im trying to upkeep it.

Then you are correct...

Who knows what type of fuel was used or the quality of maint'nance that was done... I am as far away from being a tech as the moon is from Earth... but here is what I would change if there are no service records:

Fuel filter, oil and filter, plugs (and wires if applicable); transmission fluid, differential fluid (if applicable, and if that's what it's called); basically all the fluids; make sure you have a good battery in there - that's about where my understanding stops. There are many other items to inspect, and maybe change... the real deal techs and members will probably give you a list of items... good luck!

Stick around... I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice. Also, do a search on rough idle so you can kinda see what things are discussed - not that your vehicle has rough idle, but it's info to help out... and if you want to swap out the injectors, probably not necessary, but you might want to stick with factory injectors and plugs (motorcraft) or go with autolite - I've stolen these ideas from everyone here... why not? they work just fine!

How or what do you do to clean the injectors? Are spark plugs hard to change? Anything else should do?

Fuel injector cleaner added to the gas tank will help clean the injectors.

For changing the plugs/wires, take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198570&highlight=spark+plugs .

I would also recommend running a can of Sea Foam through the intake Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120853&highlight=incertion+point. Sea Foam ( http://www.seafoamsales.com/ ) can also be added to the gas.

Good luck ....

Back