• Register Today It's free!

spark plugs

pfeffer1728

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
how the f'k do you get to the spark plugs on the left side of a 98 XLT v6sohc? i wanna replace them, but dont want to pay someone to do it. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe i was told that you have to do it through the wheel well

hmmm, ill have to take a look at it that way, im not so sure that will work though, everything is pretty tight in there

Maybe if you jack up the front of the truck a little, the wheels will drop down enough to give you some good access through the wheel well over them.

ill have to rip out the cover thing though, is that going to do anything? besides make everything a little dirtier?

I have replaced many time, and I go through the bottom of the engine bay. You can reach them fom there. Hope this helps

ill have to try from both ways, thanks for the info

pfeffer1728 said:
ill have to rip out the cover thing though, is that going to do anything? besides make everything a little dirtier?

Why would it? Simply put it back when finished.

Good luck .........

Hi, I just changed spark plugs a week ago. I found out that left side spark plugs were probably not changed at all while right side were relatively new. My advice is to take the weel out and it helps (it takes about twenty minutes - wheel and plastic "cover") but it is far easier.

artur

Remove the wheel and the rubber liner (it just pops off with the clips). The plugs are right there and easy to get to.

Yup! The rubber flap is on there with a few little plastic christmas-tree push-pins. Pop them out and it makes the job 1000X easier!

-Joe

The easiest way to get to the plugs without a lift is through the passenger side wheel well. When you take out the plastic wheel well be carefull of the round (looks like a ball) vacume thingy. I'm not sure how mine was mounted, but it came loose when I pulled out the wheel well and the brittle vacume lines cracked.

I just did mine it took 2 ½ Hours to do leads and plugs, about 30 minutes into it I stated cursing Ford and didn’t stop till I had finished, the Job was a SOB, I had to cut the lead boot’s on 3 of the plugs off as I couldn’t for the life of me pull them off (and I ant small either)

The 2 worst were the one next to the A/C compressor with the brake lines and other chit running in front and next to it the other was the one next to the transmission dipstick.

If I ever run into the dipstick that designed that engine bay he better run and fast too.

Aussie Explorer said:
I just did mine it took 2 ½ Hours to do leads and plugs, about 30 minutes into it I stated cursing Ford and didn’t stop till I had finished, the Job was a SOB, I had to cut the lead boot’s on 3 of the plugs off as I couldn’t for the life of me pull them off (and I ant small either)

The 2 worst were the one next to the A/C compressor with the brake lines and other chit running in front and next to it the other was the one next to the transmission dipstick.

If I ever run into the dipstick that designed that engine bay he better run and fast too.

That's because the boots basically fuse themselves to the plug. The key to that is to grab the boot with a pair of channel locks and twist the boot on the plug about 1/4 turn. I'm not a big guy, but I didn't have any trouble doing them after 97,000 miles.

-Joe

thanks guys, info should really come in handy when i do plugs and wires

Do people still put a little silicone grease on the pugs to keep the boots from seizing?

Papa said:
Do people still put a little silicone grease on the pugs to keep the boots from seizing?
I use dielectric grease,it not only helps with boot removal,but also helps prevent moisture from getting in and corrosion between the wire and plug.

Back