Speaker Popping, Factory Audio System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Popping, Factory Audio System

michaeelaln

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
2020 Explorer XLT

About one week ago the rear passenger side door speaker has started popping for about 15 seconds when I am entering or exiting the vehicle, and some time after the vehicle has been locked. All chimes have been coming from the IPC speaker since this started happening. I have never made any modifications or alterations to the audio system. Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or how to diagnose. Have not had the chance to check the diagnostic codes yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2020 Explorer XLT

About one week ago the rear passenger side door speaker has started popping for about 15 seconds when I am entering or exiting the vehicle, and some time after the vehicle has been locked. All chimes have been coming from the IPC speaker since this started happening. I have never made any modifications or alterations to the audio system. Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or how to diagnose. Have not had the chance to check the diagnostic codes yet.
its only when door is open? sounds like a connection imo

If you have Forscan, definitely do a scan. Any disconnects of the speakers will show a code. You can also perform module resets of the DSP and ACM. Lastly, you might try going into bezel diagnostics. It will do a speaker test as the first thing. (After ignition on, press and hold steering wheel seek up, and center console seek up until bezel diagnostics come up. Can take up to 20 seconds)

Not when that door is open. A few seconds after entering or exiting the vehicle it would happen. Also after closing all the doors and locking the car it would happen

If you have Forscan, definitely do a scan. Any disconnects of the speakers will show a code. You can also perform module resets of the DSP and ACM. Lastly, you might try going into bezel diagnostics. It will do a speaker test as the first thing. (After ignition on, press and hold steering wheel seek up, and center console seek up until bezel diagnostics come up. Can take up to 20 seconds)
The only DTC I get from ForScan is “Speaker 3 General Electrical Failure”. Also tried resetting and testing the ACM, BdyCM, and DSP- no luck with that unfortunately. Bezel diagnostics plays no sound through speaker 3.

I opened up the door where the speaker is located- connection is good, no sign of damage or water. Disconnecting the speaker made a pulsing sound play through the entire audio system constantly.

So I ended up just disabling the speaker in Forscan 🤷🏼‍♂️ and resetting the modules again. Now the popping sound is gone and the chimes are no longer coming through the IPC. However if I turn on the battery without the engine I can hear a scratchy static noise through the sound system (radio is off). Overall very strange.

Is yours still under warranty? Sounds like you've done as much troubleshooting as you can do almost. I also wonder if you disconnect speaker #3, does that static go away? Maybe it's a problem with the speaker that is causing problems when connected. Does music even play through that speaker?

When I was doing sound insulation in my front doors, I inadvertently had a piece of aluminum clad foam that was in contact with one of the speakers. I would hear static/popping coming from that speaker but also choppy music playing. I'm wondering if that speaker is damaged where a damaged voice coil is doing something similar. I think best case scenario would be a speaker driver replacement. Hopefully not ACM, audio amp, APIM, etc.

2020 Explorer XLT

I picked mine up from the dealer today after some major work and it is now doing the same thing. When the doors are either unlocked or locked using the fob or door handles- a loud bass thump comes thru the right rear door speaker- even though nothing else is on in the vehicle.

I picked mine up from the dealer today after some major work and it is now doing the same thing. When the doors are either unlocked or locked using the fob or door handles- a loud bass thump comes thru the right rear door speaker- even though nothing else is on in the vehicle.
Got a 2020 XLT, couple days ago when I opened the door the driver's side passenger speaker began mimicking a heartbeat with exact same sound and rhythm, THUMP, thump, THUMP, thump. I isolated the speaker after it stopped pulsing while the radio was on and no sound. Sometimes it pulses for a minute or less, sometimes for several minutes. The only pattern I can find is the speaker begins pulsing the second my hand touches the sensor on the door handle. Makes no difference if the door is locked or not. Taking to the dealer on Monday and will advise. EDIT, dealer says it is the ACM, Audio Control Module not functioning as designed.

Got a 2020 XLT, couple days ago when I opened the door the driver's side passenger speaker began mimicking a heartbeat with exact same sound and rhythm, THUMP, thump, THUMP, thump. I isolated the speaker after it stopped pulsing while the radio was on and no sound. Sometimes it pulses for a minute or less, sometimes for several minutes. The only pattern I can find is the speaker begins pulsing the second my hand touches the sensor on the door handle. Makes no difference if the door is locked or not. Taking to the dealer on Monday and will advise. EDIT, dealer says it is the ACM, Audio Control Module not functioning as designed.
Hello! I'm having the exact same issue with my 2021 Ford Explorer XLT and have taken this in twice for Service with no solution because it happens rarely and the mechanic hasn't observed it in realtime. Is there any official fix or diagnostic report from Ford to document this problem?

Hello! I'm having the exact same issue with my 2021 Ford Explorer XLT and have taken this in twice for Service with no solution because it happens rarely and the mechanic hasn't observed it in realtime. Is there any official fix or diagnostic report from Ford to document this problem?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not aware of any way to document your issue other than reporting it to the dealer and/or contacting Ford.

Peter

The thumping was consistent enough it happened when dropping if off for repair. The cause, the sound system in conjucntion with the Synch3 software. The fix, replaced the Audio control Module ACM and installed Synch 3. Problem solved. Down time, 3 days including waiting for parts to arrive. If they need a reference, Puente Hills Ford, City of Industry, Ca, 626 346-5902, Mid Feb.
time frame. No out of pocket cost. I'd suggest you make a video of it next time if happens and show it to the dealer. They do a basic install of Synch 3, you will to do the rest.

That's Sync 3. ;)

Back