Speed sensor problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed sensor problem.

Tavycal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
!997 xlt 4.0
I have a 1997 Explorer XLT 4wd. When coming to a stop the ABS kicks in. I unplugged the right front speed sensor and the problem stopped, so I replaced the front right wheel hub assembly including speed sensor. Problems is still there. What and where is the VSS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VSS is not the problem, anytime you unplug anything with the abs system it disables the abs system and therefore your problem. You probably have a abs sensor dropping out which causes the false abs activation. The only way to tell without guessing is to hook up a scan tool and figure out which sensor is reading improperly.

welcome

So unplugging the right front just deactvated the whole system. OK. Whats next? When I unplug the "right front speed sensor
' the abs light comes on.

Anytime the light is on the system is disabled.

chances are it is a bad sensor, i would start with the back one first, it is on top of the rear axle in the middle.
i had a nagging abs problem with my 96 and changed the back one, problem solved,,

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. The codes are there for a reason. It will help eliminate guess work plus wasted time & money on replacing parts that are still good.

It was the front left speed sensor. Thanks for all the help.

Thank you for letting us know what your solution was Tavycal. Although it won't necessarily be the left sensor for other people this will at least help them start troubleshooting. For the benefit of future readers I am linking this thread to another related thread: Link

But it would have been more useful if you indicated what you tried to fixed it with... ie. just replaced the sensor, replaced the whole hub OR just cleaned it. Based on the first post, odds are a "full replacement" but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

Back