Spit out a brake pad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spit out a brake pad

Ok, I am the furthest thing from a mechanic.
But I am broke and desperate and my 94 Explorer had NO stop so I attempted to fix the brakes myself.
Armed with a pitiful array of tools, an online Chilton guide and an instructional Youtube video, I went to work.

Please understand that I couldn't know less about this if I was Amish.

The main problem (so I was told) was the rear wheel seal (whatever that is) so I bought the list of stuff at the auto parts store and took the rear brake apart. This involved lots of cursing, a prayer to God thanking him for this opportunity to practice patience and a piece of hay twine which is what I finally managed to pull the springs off with.

I found, and replaced, the seal thingy, after a phone call to my cousin, where he laughed at me and told me the screws were not reverse threaded. What he didn't tell me is that they may as well have been as I was working from the wrong side to them.

With the help of more hay twine, and a friend to provide that third hand God forgot to give us, I actually managed to get them back together!
If I didn't mention before, to the unmechanical drum brakes can only be described as Satan's jigsaw puzzle, so I was insanely proud of myself and tackled the front brakes, where I had been told I had a stuck caliper pin.

I did the driver's side relatively easily, replaces the caliper pins and pads, patted myself on the back and went to the problem side.
I've no idea if the caliper pin was stuck, but there was a brake pad missing and that piston thingy(which I found out was the actual caliper) was shot to hades as it had pressed against the ?rotor? and worn to the point it was virtually gone.
After 3 days I got a ride to the store that actually had the part, and put it on. After all I'd been through, this was easy. I took a test drive and it ACTUALLY WORKED!:party:

So a little later my husband and family got in the car so we could all go to the store. About 12 miles down the road there was some clunking and grinding and that nice, brand new, front passenger caliper spit out a chewed up brake pad.

When you can stop laughing (go ahead, it's ok) does anyone know what I did wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have to see photos as there should be no way for the pad to come out if...it was the right one,and the caliper was installed correctly.

So take some pictures and lets see.And on a side note,bad brake job = you all get killed down the road,get some help when you repair it as we all would not like to see that.

by the way you described the caliber was pressing directly on the rotor you most likley have to replace the rotor also. check if the rotor is smooth like it is supposed to be. Chances are that with the caliper pressing directly on the rotor , the rotor is all chewed up, pitted, and warped. This probably caused the brake pad to be shattered or jarred up and flung out of the seating. Also when you say you finally got that part from the store, What part was it? brake caliber, pads? That caliber may be shot also by the wat it sounds. Let us see pics and know what parts were replaced so we can narrow down our answers. Good luck

Thank you for being the first person not to laugh at me!

So, We brought the car home and parked it and I have actually not taken it apart until just now because I didn't want to screw it up again.

I took it apart just now to get pictures for you guys and ... it's fine. Both of the brand new brake pads were there! So now I'm thinking it was the missing brake pad from before? I never even thought to look to see if it was stuck in there.

BTW, after I had done the back ones I did get someone (2 someones actually) who looked and told me (in tones of VAST surprise) that they looked fine. And I had to borrow a spare jack from them after I had done the first front one and they told me that was good and to make the other one look like that.

Parts that were replaced Drivers rear, wheel seal, brake pads.
Passenger rear Brake pads
Driver front, caliper pins, brake pads
Passenger front, caliper, caliper pins, brake pads

When I called my cousin (who is an awesome mechanic but lives 1200 miles away) he did tell me to check the "back of the round thing" (rotor? - he was laughing at me and dumbed it down)
It does have some grooves in it, but not deep or chewed up and he told me that to be on the safe side it does need replaced but it will be safe to drive on for the week until the store gets the part for me.

I am having trouble getting pics up but will try to email them to someone to post here if there are any volunteers.

Go to photobucket,create an account and post them there.Then you can insert the link and the photos will show up here.

IMAG0694.jpg

yea they work and it looks good to me. If they were working fine after you heard the clunking noise I would be cautious for a drive or to but all the parts are there and you put everything back where they belong. Congrats to your first Explorer fix.
PS looks like you got quite a petting zoo going on there

Thanks!
We really like this car and want to learn all about it and keep it going as long as possible.
It did work fine on the drive home, we don't drive too far usually and I'll nurse it.

And lol, yeah, we've got a farm. Dogs, cats goats, chickens, quail, rabbits. Skills from the 1800s I've got, the mechanical stuff I'm just learning.

I edited your first post with the pic..

There is a "share" button when you are moused over your picture when your at photobucket. I then chose "other" and then hit the "get code link" tab. The tag is the one I took the code from pasted it in your message.

As you can see though, it does get somewhat large, but you don't have to click it to see it..

I just did the one so you could see what it would look like..

BTW.. congrats on getting the brakes done.. I know that can be a daunting task.

edit: Also, thats called a Caliper SLIDE PIN, not a caliper bolt.. makes it easier to find info and parts if you use the right term.

One of the residents in my complex lost a pad coming over a speed bump. I left it in place and it disappeared by the time I got back that evening. Wonder how he figured it out...

:scratch:

Back