sport trac overheating. Please help ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sport trac overheating. Please help ASAP

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
please help. This is my primary vehicle. As I was leaving the post office, the temperature on my sport trac suddenly shot up. I pulled over to the side right away. I looked under the hood and didn't see any leaks. The coolant reserver was filled up with twice as much coolant. I just opened the radiator cap and closed it. I turned off the AC and just put it to heat fan air and then cool fan air most of the way. I drove 10 minutes to my home and no overheating along the way. Later, I flushed the coolant just to be sure there was nothing clogged. I didn't see any loss in coolant. Later in the evening, I went for another drive. Less than 5 minutes into driving, the temperature shot up again while i was at the stop light. I realized I had the AC on. I turned it off again and just set it to fan with heat... surprisingly, the temperature came back down to the middle mark. I got to advance auto parts and I told the clerk what could it be? I told him 3 weeks ago, I just changed the thermostat, the radiator cap and the water pump. He suggested that it could be the fan clutch assembly or the head gasket (hopefully it's not this).
He had me turn the vehicle off than on and observed that there is too much play with the fan. He said that it shouldn't turn around too much. The fan should stop much sooner when the vehicle was turned off. I did tell him that I did change out just the fan and not the fan clutch a month ago....now that i think of it, when i reinstalled a new fan (well used from the junkyard), I couldn't get much leverage tightening the clutch assembly back onto the water pump. I didn't have a second set of hands, so I had to tighten it myself (can't remember if I pushed the special fan wretches together or separate). Could the problem be that it just needs to tightened more or could it be something else? he recommended that I get a new fan clutch, but I'm not sure if there is anything else he could left out during his diagnosis as he was kinda in a rush with other customers waiting.
I appreciate any input or advice. I need to make a long trip this weekend. Thanks in advance

okay so I changed out the fan clutch...I drove to my destination with the AC which was about 35 miles. Then later in the evening, I'm ready to head home. 3 miles down, the truck begins to overheat. I pull to the side of the road and just blow air with the setting on hot. I am able to drive 35 miles back home with overheating but I was sure sweating inside my truck. Any ideas?

Back