Squeak in rear

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hey Explorer Forum,

I have a 2002 EB X but I have recently been hearing a little squeak in the rear. At first I thought it was my trailer hitch, but I removed it and the noise remains. I usually hear the squeak (not too loud) usually on bumpy roads, taking corners sometimes especially from a stop. I notice it sometimes when coming to a stop. Anyone have an idea what the noise might be?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might check to make sure your spare tire is not loose. Maybe tighten it a little.

Last night I checked my spare tire. I couldn't get the nut that holds the tire in place undone, so I had to spray it good with WD40 and let it soak. I will have try to release the nut tonight. Is there anything that you need to do special to get the nut loose? Is there supposed to be some play since I can slightly move the tire back and forth. This might be the noise that I am hearing.

Thanks!

wow this can be anything.. can be any moving part in the rear end. correct me if im wrong but the 02 came with the independendant rear suspension right? this .. but try the joints ..

I just got my Exp. a couple of days ago, so I'm not sure if there is a trick to loosening the nut. I purchased it used with 14,000 miles on it and noticed a sound in the rear when driving. The spare being loose was the first thing I thought of. I got home and sure enough, it was a little loose. I only turned the nut maybe 1/4-1/2 turn, but it snugged the spare up well. I assume you don't want any looseness in the spare. It should, logically, stay pretty tight. I hope this helps you.

RSTX said:
I assume you don't want any looseness in the spare.

Yes you're correct - the cable holding the spare tire once broke on me because I've been driving with a lose spare - and eventually the cable snapped and down went my spare tire.

Is your noise short, like a little chirp?

I notice something like that in my '03 limited - have NO idea what it is... it does it quite often and seems more audible from the right side of the vehicle (can hear it echoing off objects on that side of the car with the windows down).

dennis67 said:
Is your noise short, like a little chirp?

I notice something like that in my '03 limited - have NO idea what it is... it does it quite often and seems more audible from the right side of the vehicle (can hear it echoing off objects on that side of the car with the windows down).

a "chirp" sometimes means a u-joint going bad.. its probably more audiable from the right side because the gas tank is directly left of the rear drive shaft (or at least it is on a second generation explorer - dunno about ur third generation) and will block/reflect some of the emitted sound or "chirp".. check the following thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1256462

g'luck.

I have a 2002 EB 4x4 with 65,000 miles and I have a noise that sounds similar to yours.

My noise I believe is coming from my second row passenger seat. Every year I take the seats out and clean the carpets, for a couple weeks after I replace the seats there is no noise, but then it always comes back, a high pitched sqeek or chirp noise that happens when I go over small bumps.

The problem I had in my 02 EB was a bad body mount. I had the body mount done under warranty, and everything is all set now. The Ford dealership I take the car to is very good about diagnosing things like this. I personally haven't driven the car yet, but my wife said everything is quiet now :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Mike

I guess that I shouldn't have posted so soon that the problem has been fixed. The noise didn't appear for 2 days, but yesterday my wife was driving and started to hear it again. This weekend I will probably try to diagnose this further, and if nothing turns up I will have it back to dealer. Any other ideas?

I had a chipy scapping sound in the right rear, it turned out to be a piece of the backing plate for the brakes was bent. Straightened it and the sound is gone.

I thought the squeak was fixed when I had a new body mount put on. I was wrong since after a couple days it started to make the same noise again. My wife (who is loosing patience with this X) went back to the dealer again yesterday and they sprayed white lithium grease or some type of lube which seems to help but is only a temporary fix. However, the noise is still there. I just went to Autozone to buy some more white lithium grease and sprayed it very good. If I stand and bounce on the rear bumper the squeak is loud and is coming from the body mount. Does anyone know what I can do to eliminate this noise?

I appreciate your help!

-Michael

Back