squealing from what i think is the A/C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squealing from what i think is the A/C

99EXP

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXP XLT
ok here is the deal, when i turn on the A/C i hear this high pitched squeal and when i turn it off it doesnt do it anymore. what is the problem and how do i fix it? it is really embarrassing when i pull up to a car full of hotties and they hear this squealing coming from my car and it is starting to get annoying. help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you don't want to hear this, but the squealing is mostlikely the belt slipping as a result of the A/C compressor failing. If this is the problem the only fix is to replace the compressor.

well mrboyle sir, it is more of a whistle and/or whir than a squeal. i know what a A/C compressor sounds like when going out. mine went out on my 94 explorer and it doesnt sound anything like that did. good thought though.

First I would open the hood, let the engine idle, turn on the A/C then start squirting WD-40 on around till the squeel goes away. If that doesn't help, maybe a new belt or some belt dressing. Or.... the extra load of the A/C could be making your alternater pulley squeel. If your A/C is blowing cold air, it's working. If nothing else helps, just tell those Hotties its your "Babe Call".

the thing that sounds like it is making the sound is the tubes and cylinder that get cold. the whistle/whir is no where near the belt or pulleys. what do you think it could be now?

There is a schrader valve, like a bicycle tire valve, where the put in the refrigerant, maybe thats leaking under pressure. or.......there is a crack in you system somewhere. You'll figure that out in time. After that you'll have to use your 255 A/C.........................."2" windows down, "55" MPH.

i have been using my 255 A/C for awhile so i doont embarrass myself in front of the hotties. you know how it is. thanks for all the info.

Back