• Register Today It's free!

Squeeky Cooling Fan

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Has anyone else noticed that their cooling fan is a bit squeaky. I usually start up my ex while it's in my garage and the squeak coming from the cooling fan is pretty loud. At first I thought it was a squeaky belt but upon closer listening I am pretty sure it's the fan. Is it even worth telling my dealer? I already had the fan update done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have a fan that is making some noise, the drivers side one to be exact. I notice mine whenever I turn the engine off, I can spin it manually to hear the bearings squeaking. I plan on having the dealer look at during my next service.

i'm having the same issue with my wifes explorer... i was looking for what possible causes there was out there... i thought it was the belt but if its the fan i'll be taking to the dealer this week...

I would recommend a visit to the dealership for each of you.

Most likely your cooling fans will need replacement.

It's a long story, but it sounds exactly like a problem that affected 2011's (not sure why a 2012 is having issues, but maybe yours was an early build?) There is a reprogram of the PCM (?) module that fixes a problem where dirt would be allowed to build up on some contacts in the fan and cause the fans to fail prematurely and in several cases, engines overheated. Dealers are well aware of the issue as Ford issued a customer satisfaction program or something like it regarding this. Do a search of the forum and you will see it.

Oh, and BTW, its not a belt if its related to the cooling fan as the Explorer's fan is electric and not driven by a belt off the motor.

I would suggest doing this sooner rather than later and keeping an eye on your temp gauge.

It's a long story, but it sounds exactly like a problem that affected 2011's (not sure why a 2012 is having issues, but maybe yours was an early build?) There is a reprogram of the PCM (?) module that fixes a problem where dirt would be allowed to build up on some contacts in the fan and cause the fans to fail prematurely and in several cases, engines overheated. Dealers are well aware of the issue as Ford issued a customer satisfaction program or something like it regarding this. Do a search of the forum and you will see it.

Oh, and BTW, its not a belt if its related to the cooling fan as the Explorer's fan is electric and not driven by a belt off the motor.

I would suggest doing this sooner rather than later and keeping an eye on your temp gauge.

i had the reprogram done... reprogramming a PCM won't fix dirt getting into a connection... it was a recall on it... 2012 Limited Explorer... and yes, i know what an electric fan is... lol... ;)

i had the reprogram done... reprogramming a PCM won't fix dirt getting into a connection... it was a recall on it... 2012 Limited Explorer... and yes, i know what an electric fan is... lol... ;)

It wasn't a recall, it was a "customer satisfaction program" and yes, the PCM reprogram is supposedly to prevent contamination of contacts.... Don't ask me how.... Its not me that made that claim, its Ford. From the letter Ford sent to 2011 owners:

"Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36

What is the issue? On your vehicle, contamination can build up on the internal electrical contacts of the engine cooling fan motors, causing the fans to be inoperative. Inoperative engine cooling fans could lead to high engine temperature gauge readings and reduced air conditioning performance. Continued operation of the vehicle could result in illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and eventually cause the engine to automatically enter derate (reduced power) mode.

What will Ford and your dealer do? In the interest of customer satisfaction, FMC has authorized your dealer to inspect the operation of the engine cooling fans on your vehicle and replace them if necessary. In addition, your dealer will reprogram your vehicle's PCM to prevent contamination from accumulating in the future.

This service will be performed free of charge (Parts and labor) under the terms of this program.

This CSP will be in effect until May 1, 2013 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

What should you do? Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36. Prove your VIN.

Do you need a rental vehicle? If your dealer determines that the cooling fans on your vehicle require replacement, your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle for your personal transportation at no charge while parts are on order. "

It wasn't a recall, it was a "customer satisfaction program" and yes, the PCM reprogram is supposedly to prevent contamination of contacts.... Don't ask me how.... Its not me that made that claim, its Ford. From the letter Ford sent to 2011 owners:

"Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36

What is the issue? On your vehicle, contamination can build up on the internal electrical contacts of the engine cooling fan motors, causing the fans to be inoperative. Inoperative engine cooling fans could lead to high engine temperature gauge readings and reduced air conditioning performance. Continued operation of the vehicle could result in illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and eventually cause the engine to automatically enter derate (reduced power) mode.

What will Ford and your dealer do? In the interest of customer satisfaction, FMC has authorized your dealer to inspect the operation of the engine cooling fans on your vehicle and replace them if necessary. In addition, your dealer will reprogram your vehicle's PCM to prevent contamination from accumulating in the future.

This service will be performed free of charge (Parts and labor) under the terms of this program.

This CSP will be in effect until May 1, 2013 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

What should you do? Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Customer Satisfaction Program 12B36. Prove your VIN.

Do you need a rental vehicle? If your dealer determines that the cooling fans on your vehicle require replacement, your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle for your personal transportation at no charge while parts are on order. "

wow, that is literally the dumbest thing i have ever heard of from a dealer...

Would a fan that is very squeaky constitute a replacement?

Yes. The fan would be replaced.

Dealers are very aware of the problem. You should have NO trouble with the dealer on this issue.

I heard my fan squeal exactly TWICE - very intermittently. Brought it to the dealer who could not reproduce, but given the high visibility of this problem, they simply replaced it without any question and did the reprogram

If you have any trouble at all, PM the Ford Reps on this site and they will hook you up with a regional cust. service rep who will help you.

wow, that is literally the dumbest thing i have ever heard of from a dealer...

Agreed.

However, this was a fairly big issue 8 months or so ago and since the "customer satisfaction" program, there have been very few reports of this happening.

The only thing I can think of is that the fans are programmed to run longer or in a different pattern to avoid dirt settling on the contacts.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

Has anyone else noticed that their cooling fan is a bit squeaky. I usually start up my ex while it's in my garage and the squeak coming from the cooling fan is pretty loud. At first I thought it was a squeaky belt but upon closer listening I am pretty sure it's the fan. Is it even worth telling my dealer? I already had the fan update done.

I also have a fan that is making some noise, the drivers side one to be exact. I notice mine whenever I turn the engine off, I can spin it manually to hear the bearings squeaking. I plan on having the dealer look at during my next service.

i'm having the same issue with my wifes explorer... i was looking for what possible causes there was out there... i thought it was the belt but if its the fan i'll be taking to the dealer this week...

Hey everyone,

As jrmexplorer suggests, visiting your dealership should be your first order of business; they'll be in the best position to assist you. Keep me in the loop and let me know how things go. I'm always happy to jump in and help if you need anything.

Great advice, jrmexplorer!

Crystal

Agreed.

However, this was a fairly big issue 8 months or so ago and since the "customer satisfaction" program, there have been very few reports of this happening.

The only thing I can think of is that the fans are programmed to run longer or in a different pattern to avoid dirt settling on the contacts.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'm no mechanical engineer.

You got it! My dealer told me the update forces the fans come on regularly not just when needed for cooling thus keeping corrosion from building up.
What are you? A rocket scientist? :D

Bought my 2015 Ford Explorer XLT on June 1st 2015, the day my wife became a civilian after retiring from the Navy. I had the engine cooling fan replaced in October and was told it was a bad bearing in the fan. I had it replaced again in April of this year, and now I'm taking it in again on Wednesday next week for the 3rd time. I have about 11,800 miles on the car, and because now its over a year old since I bought it, it no longer falls under CO lemon laws. This is infuriating to say the least. I'm not sure if the faulty fan(s) are due to being poor quality, or symptoms of a much larger problem. What happens if I take a road trip with my family and my engine overheats? How many times am I going to have to keep replacing the fan? Why isn't their a recall or a TSB out on this?

Bought my 2015 Ford Explorer XLT on June 1st 2015, the day my wife became a civilian after retiring from the Navy. I had the engine cooling fan replaced in October and was told it was a bad bearing in the fan. I had it replaced again in April of this year, and now I'm taking it in again on Wednesday next week for the 3rd time. I have about 11,800 miles on the car, and because now its over a year old since I bought it, it no longer falls under CO lemon laws. This is infuriating to say the least. I'm not sure if the faulty fan(s) are due to being poor quality, or symptoms of a much larger problem. What happens if I take a road trip with my family and my engine overheats? How many times am I going to have to keep replacing the fan? Why isn't their a recall or a TSB out on this?
There isn't a TSBs, but there is a message to ford dealers. Mine was replaced and it has been fine.

There isn't a TSBs, but there is a message to ford dealers. Mine was replaced and it has been fine.
Yours is a 2016 which has a know issue. I believe the service information bulletin to the dealers applies to 2016 not 2015 models. The poster you replied to has a 2015. FYI, there was a recall issued for some of the 2011/2012 models.

Peter

Moved from the 2016 bearing noise thread.

Back