Stabilizer links (sway bar repair kit) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stabilizer links (sway bar repair kit)

Dr.Manhattan

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I'll take this as a lesson to read more carefully when purchasing items on ebay. I recently purchased a sway bar repair kit and I just now noticed that the seller had this listed for the rear of the car. I didn't even know the explorer had a rear sway bar until I looked at it in the Chilton's manual.

Anyway, I have 4 bushings, a nut, washer, sleeve and bolt. Will this only work in the rear, or can I use this for the front stabilizer bar as well? And yes I am aware that I will need to purchase a second kit for the other side.

The end link bushings are all the same size, so front or rear doesn't really matter.

The rear bushings where the sway bar mounts to the link are stuck on to the stock bolts though (making it easy to replace them so the bolt doesn't spin), so if you replace those, that's when you need the bolt. Some urethane bushing kits have a knurled/rough inner portion on bushings made to mount in this location, though their effectiveness is debatable.

The only thing about the kit you have, it seems like you should have an inner sleeve for each pair for the front, so you'd just have to clean up and reuse the stock inner sleeves if you want to replace all 8 bushings but only have 2 sleeves.

You might want to just order another kit, or get one made for the front, since you'd get a bigger difference with new bushings on both ends.

I managed to get a second kit. Turns out ebay's stock picture is a little false advertising. Anyway, when I do the front end links, how many foot pounds of pressure should I be torquing the nuts and bolts to?

Back