'98 Mountaineer V8...now with LOW RANGE!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Mountaineer V8...now with LOW RANGE!!!

TBMounty50

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0
Now I see what all you 4406ers have been raving about. What a sweet upgrade. I dedicated this past weekend to excorcising the AWD junkfer case and jumped on the 4406 bandwagon. Thanks to all the members who donated their ideas through their own trial and error. Armed with the parts list and info found on this site, I had a relatively smooth and surprise free swap. I also fabricated custom linkage to keep the size of the hole smaller and position the shifter where I wanted it. I'll post pics of the linkage soon in case anyone is interested. LOW RANGE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its great to hear that you got your conversion over to a real transfer case finished without any issues and please do post the pictures of the linkage the more pictures of the swap posted the easier it will be for others to do as well.

I too want to see pictures of your linkage.

smoke show?

Pics are coming, I promise. Having trouble downloading them but I'll get 'em on here. Came up with a couple revisions for the linkage after driving it for a couple days, mainly cosmetic appearance with the boot and handle.

Custom linkage

Ok, I'm retarded. Can't figure out how to get pics on here. I'll try again later when I can get help from someone who knows what they're doing.

Post them on photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG link from it on to your post.

linkage... pics... now... :bounce:

is it completely custom? the linkage i mean..

another question, do you get any kind of vibration from the front drive-shaft at beltway speeds? I've removed the front drive-shaft on mine since it vibrates above 45mph and do not have the money yet to make the d-shaft a double cardan type.

linkage... pics... now... :bounce:

is it completely custom? the linkage i mean..

another question, do you get any kind of vibration from the front drive-shaft at beltway speeds? I've removed the front drive-shaft on mine since it vibrates above 45mph and do not have the money yet to make the d-shaft a double cardan type.

Ok, gonna try the photobucket thing in a minute. Yes, everything from the knob to the little lever on the case is custom. I had a hard time finding the F-150 linkage and then I decided i didn't want to cut the truck up any more than neccesary, so out came the welder.

I'm not getting any vibration. At least nothing that overcomes the noisy tires and bent wheels.

Pics are uploading on photobucket right now. I have a slow connection so it's taking forever.

You have to copy the IMG Code from photobucket.

SDC15523.jpg

SDC15524.jpg

SDC15526.jpg

SDC15525.jpg

SDC15527.jpg

SDC15528.jpg

SDC15536.jpg

SDC15538.jpg

SDC15539.jpg

SDC15540.jpg

SDC15543.jpg

SDC15544.jpg

SDC15551.jpg

SDC15552.jpg

SDC15532.jpg

SDC15553.jpg

SDC15554.jpg

SDC15555.jpg

Nicely done! That's what I wanted to do. Thanks. I'm better at turning wrenches than messing with computers.

In case anyone is wondering, the handle comes straight back with no sideways gate to go through to get to low range. I really didn't want to cut down into the tunnel far enough to allow clearance for the factory linkage movement. At first I thought about the linkage from the mid-90's trucks that you push the handle down to get to low range which theoretically would just need a slot in the floor as well. Couldn't find any of these either and I was getting antsy having everything else ready to go, so I dove in and made it up as I went along.

Welcome to the 4406 side!

Happy to be here. Everything about the 4406 is great, no regrets about the swap. Increased power, mileage and the addition of low range...sweet. I'm getting about +1.5 mpg on my combined city/hwy average. Is that pretty typical?

yup
I like the shifter. :thumbsup:

Your mileage increase is about right.

That alone makes the mod worth it. The tree huggers have to love you now :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Especially since the whole swap was 50 bucks cheaper than a replacement front shaft for the AWD. I got lucky and found super deals on parts. $205 for case and driveshafts, $40 or so in the u-joint, paint, fluid and hardware store visits.

Back