• Register Today It's free!

Stalling when I put it in gear

ExploreMN2008

Reaction score
City, State
McGregor, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4x4
I have a 2000 Explorer, it starts up fine, I can rev up to 4000 easily at idle, and it'll drive (somewhat) while the engine is still cold. As soon as it warms up, it will stall fairly quickly under load (putting the transmission in drive or reverse). It will start right back up, no problem. The check engine light came on a couple of days ago, no time to dump the codes and now I'm stuck 120 miles from home.

It ran fine earlier today, it just started this behavior this afternoon. I let the engine warm up all of the way (idling), but still no go. Keep in mind, this happened suddenly. The fuel filter is fairly new. This may have happened as I went over a bump (as it was warming up), but it's possible that it would have happened whether I hit the bump or not.

It will idle fine, it's just when I try to start driving that I have a problem. And I can rev it at idle at any time.

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had my tranny rebuilt because of this problem, the TCC solonoid on the tranny valve body had gone bad, also put a new torque converter in as well as some other part replacements of course

Can anyone tell me if its possable to put a 1999 tranny into a 1995 Explorer?
Both 4.0 V-6 4spd automatic with OD... can i just bolt it up and go?

Can anyone tell me if its possable to put a 1999 tranny into a 1995 Explorer?
Both 4.0 V-6 4spd automatic with OD... can i just bolt it up and go?

Probably but not really a good idea. There are slight differences with sensors/wiring on the two units. one is a 4r55e the other a 5r55e. Pretty much identical but there are slight differences. This would be a good question for the transmission forum.

So What year trans can i work with? So i take it 4r55e is probly the 95 trans? But what years did they make the one i need

So What year trans can i work with? So i take it 4r55e is probly the 95 trans? But what years did they make the one i need
all 97+ V6 Explorer vehicles had the 5 speed. A j/y can do an interchange for you. (or try car-parts.com).

Thanks man, i appreciate it...

Yeah, I thought the torque converter seemed the likely culprit. I was stuck a ways from home with no diagnostic equipment or tools, so I ended up having it towed to the dealer.

It turned out to be a short in a wiring harness that took out one of the heated oxygen sensors.

Caution: Rhetorical questions / ranting below...
Excuse me, but WHY did that incapacitate the vehicle? Hasn't Ford heard of "limp mode"? Uggh. I'm only a little ticked because this is the second time this truck has been immobilized by a sensor failure in 3000 miles.

Yeah, I thought the torque converter seemed the likely culprit. I was stuck a ways from home with no diagnostic equipment or tools, so I ended up having it towed to the dealer.

It turned out to be a short in a wiring harness that took out one of the heated oxygen sensors.

Excuse me, but WHY did that incapacitate the vehicle? Hasn't Ford heard of "limp mode"? Uggh. I'm only a little ticked because this is the second time this truck has been immobilized by a sensor failure in 3000 miles.

better question..what else does the fuse that powers the heaters control????

here ya go..hope this helps someone in the future. Imagine replacing a trans for this and finding out that thats not the problem :(

Back