• Register Today It's free!

stalling

Cw2185

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a 94 Explorer, V6, 5 speed manual, 125,000. I have an intermittent stalling problem. The engine will cut out for about 5 to 10 seconds - with the manual trans. it will jump start if I'm at highway speeds. The engine always restarts after about 10 seconds. I have had it to my local shop twice. No codes and the check engine light does not come on. I may not have any problem for a couple weeks and then it could stall as much as 10 or 12 times in one day. It does this under any driving conditions. My local shop told me to take it to a dealer. Other than this problem my Explorer runs perfect although I do here some possible carbon ping.
Thanks
Charlie

Welcome to the site. Here goes..... Fuel filter - if not changed in a while, do it. Can clog, causing stalling. Fuel Pump - If that's going bad, need to remove gas tank to replace. There is also a relay that goes bad as well I believe... Try searching for Fuel Pump for more info.

Check the TB and the IAC. also check your vacuum hoses. I am assuming the stall happens on coat or when you are comming to a stop.

The TB and the IAC may be dirty, or the IAC valve may be malfunctioning.

TB= throttle body
IAC= idle air control - the canister looking thing to the right of the TB

depends....

I think I'm with both of the above... if it does it at idle/when coasting, it's probably the IAC failing to maintain the idle speed. Can of carb cleaner and 1/2 hr and it'll be as good as new. If it's happening on the freeway at speed, I would DEFINATELY suspect the fuel system is starving the engine. Start with the filter (cheap and quick) then move to the pump (expensive and RoPITA!!!). Let us know what you find.
-Joe-

Back
Top Bottom