What kind of on board air is everyone running??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of on board air is everyone running???

I would definately run it on a dedicated circuit.

How many amps does the comp pull?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it says max amps is 23. The wiring comming off the pump is only 14 gauge (12 max)

Ben: Yea man you made me nervous the other day thinking i wasted my money... your 300 series was struggling like hell!

sk1er17 said:
it says max amps is 23.
Yea, it needs it's own circuit, unless you can find a heavy duty circuit with an extra 23 amp load left on it. :)

i knew i was a genious. Back in the day when i was wiring my reverse lights i ran an extra set of wires incase i ever wanted to put another set back there... well that wire happens to be the same gauge as the compressor wires.. its pre-hard wired to the battery with a switch already installed.. its getting dark out so i wanna finish hookin it up so i know how fast itll fill my tank.. :smoke:

ill let ya know how it turns out in a few min

sk1er17 said:
it says max amps is 23. The wiring comming off the pump is only 14 gauge (12 max)

Ben: Yea man you made me nervous the other day thinking i wasted my money... your 300 series was struggling like hell!

Yeah I was worried too.. I got some soapy water and covered all the fittings and noticed the inlet side of the tank was leaking badly.. Luckily, I fixed it without exploding my truck.. Compressed air & propane torch = flaming Explorer

lol... you could have taken the tank out before hittin it with the torch ;)

:bounce:
This compressor/tank combo filled one of my tires from 8psi to 36psi in roughly 3-4 minutes (thats with the tank starting from 0psi.. let it air up till 140 and started filling

I got my quickair2 mounted in a old metal first aid box where the spare tire used to be. My bumper acts as a tank but still has some small pin holes but works good. Its sooooo nice being able to air up in a few mins after the trail.

The only thing i dont like is how hot the compressor gets.... but then again it has its own safety and shuts down automatically if it starts to overheat so that makes me feel better.

I just aired up my tank to 145psi and after about 10 minutes it went down to 140psi.. i guess its been almost 30 minutes now and its down to 132. Is this normal leakage? I know its hard to get it completely air tight but was wondering if maybe i should try re-sealing my connections. **I used teflon tape and this leakage is without my air-hose connected.

soapy water check all the fittings, also check how hot the air line to the tank is getting, higher temp air= higher pressure and then will drop in pressure when it cools (if the air is getting that hot) but check the fittings and some of those viair pumps may need check valves to keep them from leaking down

You'll get leakage even with teflon tape. I did on my inlet. Luckily I know how to do plumbing so I just put some solder on them and fixed them up.. I still haven't tested how long it takes to fill my tires up.. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow when I work on my truck..

I am planning to add a air tank to my Mazda MPV and tie it into the air line running to the pump for my factory ALL system. Add a powered switch and a check valve, pressure switch , and a few other things amd I will have, on bboard air, load lleveling and able to run airr tools as the ALLs system is 145-185psi standard output and 200psi max. The lines are there and is easy access in tthe pasenger side front corner of engine compartment under headlighone could be found at most junk yards and off any vehicle with air ride

I am planning to add a air tank to my Mazda MPV and tie it into the air line running to the pump for my factory ALL system. Add a powered switch and a check valve, pressure switch , and a few other things amd I will have, on bboard air, load lleveling and able to run airr tools as the ALLs system is 145-185psi standard output and 200psi max. The lines are there and is easy access in tthe pasenger side front corner of engine compartment under headlighone could be found at most junk yards and off any vehicle with air ride

Never heard of this factory "ALL system" but i'm not into Mazda's either:p:

In any case, I wouldn't put too much faith in a factory compressor to power any air tools no matter how big an air tank you put on there. It's CFM's you need to be concerned with and not the pressure it's capable of. Most air tools are air hungry and need at least 6-7 CFM's, you'd be lucky to get 1 CFM out of that compressor.

I get 3 CFM out of my PUMA on board compressor with a 1.5 gallon tank and although I haven't tried air tools on it yet I'd probably only be able to use air tools in short bursts.

I thought about running a VIAIR 92c Air Compressor with a VIAIR install kit, but didnt know if that compressor would be big enough, I like the idea of I can turn it off and on when I want. But is that compressor going to be big enough? i will throw a small 2-5 gallon tank in later to.

Never heard of this factory "ALL system" but i'm not into Mazda's either:p:

In any case, I wouldn't put too much faith in a factory compressor to power any air tools no matter how big an air tank you put on there. It's CFM's you need to be concerned with and not the pressure it's capable of. Most air tools are air hungry and need at least 6-7 CFM's, you'd be lucky to get 1 CFM out of that compressor.

I get 3 CFM out of my PUMA on board compressor with a 1.5 gallon tank and although I haven't tried air tools on it yet I'd probably only be able to use air tools in short bursts.

How long have you had the Puma compressor working, and how do you like it? They are listed as a continuous duty 3.0 cfm pump.

I installed mine long ago but didn't get to the tanks. Now my work truck is not for work, so for naught. I'm going to transfer it all to my Mountaineer eventually, and sell the Explorer. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread050.JPG
    Projectthread050.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 259

How long have you had the Puma compressor working, and how do you like it? They are listed as a continuous duty 3.0 cfm pump.

I think for the money you can't beat it. With that said, airing any tires over 35" it's gonna take awhile to air up.
Warn's top of the line compressor sure is nice but it's pricey:http://www.warn.com/truck/aircompressors_vtc.shtml

I used to have a Powertank CO2 set up which was awesome but not real convenient for me since the nearest welding supply store is 20 min away...kind of a pain sometimes.

We still carry a MasterFlow 1050 compressor in the X which we have had for years. Its the red single head one you can find all over the 'net for around $70 nowadays.

That is the backup compressor since it still takes a while to fill tires from 13 psi to mid 30's. Also, You can't run an air tools on it or use it without power (works much better on a running engine).

We have recently added (within the last year) a co2 bottle. Its a 20 lbs bottle and we have used about 1/4 of it during the last wheeling season which included airing up our tires and some other peoples, pulling off multiple tires and some other stuff too.

I really like that its portable albeit a little heavy to carry too far.

5601974274_18d8a605d0_z.jpg

DIY co2 stowed for travel by maniak_az, on Flickr

We are using a fixed 150psi regulator from PolyPerformance and a poly hose which seems to handle the cold from the co2 just fine (it does get stiff when used for airing up). I love being able to run an impact gun with it.

The 20 lbs bottle is pretty big though. It is twice the size of a powertank. I have recently picked up a 5lbs bottle (got it cheap too, so swapping it for an in date one from airgas wasn't bad) that I can use as my junk yard tank since it is much smaller and lighter.. Makes pulling parts off so much easier.

The 5 lbs tank is small enough I can mount it under the rear seats which I might do as the emergency spare tank BUT since I have the 12v compressor that would make 2 secondary systems.. I think that may be a little overboard.

Here is a pic showing both tanks.

5601390677_e19a5c58e1_z.jpg

DIY co2 on board air systmes by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

I think for the money you can't beat it. With that said, airing any tires over 35" it's gonna take awhile to air up.
Warn's top of the line compressor sure is nice but it's pricey:http://www.warn.com/truck/aircompressors_vtc.shtml

I used to have a Powertank CO2 set up which was awesome but not real convenient for me since the nearest welding supply store is 20 min away...kind of a pain sometimes.

Thanks. It sounds like I do need to use both tanks I have to do mine. I have room on the left side of the frame for the original 1.5 gallon tank, and pressure switch etc. I bought a 3 gallon tank to fit on the right frame rail, 4.5 gallons should fill tires and run tools fairly well.

Back