Steeda springs (555 8202) vs Sport explorer springs (DB5Z-5310-K) in my XLT with B6 install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steeda springs (555 8202) vs Sport explorer springs (DB5Z-5310-K) in my XLT with B6 install

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
I have a 2014 XLT towing package with 20" wheels. I am doing a bunch of suspension (control arms front/rear, struts/shocks, steeda rear sway bar) work because my stock motorcraft stuff is worn out and is now really apparent (ball joint movement, bushings movement) with the brand new tires on last week.

I'm going to buy the Billstein B6 struts/shocks and need springs to go with unless I re-use the stock XLT springs. The 20mm lowered ride height on the sport edition springs DB5Z-5310-K of the same year is real close to the 22mm lowered ride height of the Steeda 555 8202 lowering springs.

My questions are: Can the sport springs go in an XLT without serious adverse reactions, install incompatibility? There are a couple threads that ask this question, but I can't find anyone saying "I did the sport spring, front and back, install in a base or XLT and its great". Should I just re-use the stock XLT springs with the new B6's because there are too many factors to consider (engine weight, additional sport bracing and tuning) to just chance it? Do the stock springs function well with B6's or should I abandon the B6's for motorcraft strut assemblies and just stay bare stock?

Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so you're concerned that the oem sport springs will not be somehow compatible in terms of spring rate, etc while the aftermarket ones you have no problem with buying? there's no reason why they won't work...

so you're concerned that the oem sport springs will not be somehow compatible in terms of spring rate, etc while the aftermarket ones you have no problem with buying? there's no reason why they won't work...
Not what i was asking. Read my post. Neither are original equipment for my xlt. The ford parts website says they don't fit. There are differences in engine weight between the tivct and the dohc plus the turbos, crossbracing,etc. The possibility exists for this to make the vehicle ride higher and too stiff if they are meant for a heavier dohc model (i.e. incompatible). I was wondering if/who has done the non-sport upgrade to sport struts/springs and their results. The steeda springs are very similar to ford sport springs, but out of stock everywhere and I'd like to just buy the ford sport springs if doable to "sporten" things up a bit on my xlt.

You asked if it'll fit without any significant adverse effects and install compatibility. I answered.

Not what i was asking. Read my post. Neither are original equipment for my xlt. The ford parts website says they don't fit. There are differences in engine weight between the tivct and the dohc plus the turbos, crossbracing,etc. The possibility exists for this to make the vehicle ride higher and too stiff if they are meant for a heavier dohc model (i.e. incompatible). I was wondering if/who has done the non-sport upgrade to sport struts/springs and their results. The steeda springs are very similar to ford sport springs, but out of stock everywhere and I'd like to just buy the ford sport springs if doable to "sporten" things up a bit on my xlt.

You're overthinking a simple upgrade. Spring height will be close, if not the same as predicted and you'll have a stiffer spring rate for a "sportier" feel

You're overthinking a simple upgrade. Spring height will be close, if not the same as predicted and you'll have a stiffer spring rate for a "sportier" feel
Thanks, mate. Cheers.

I have a 2014 XLT towing package with 20" wheels. I am doing a bunch of suspension (control arms front/rear, struts/shocks, steeda rear sway bar) work because my stock motorcraft stuff is worn out and is now really apparent (ball joint movement, bushings movement) with the brand new tires on last week.

I'm going to buy the Billstein B6 struts/shocks and need springs to go with unless I re-use the stock XLT springs. The 20mm lowered ride height on the sport edition springs DB5Z-5310-K of the same year is real close to the 22mm lowered ride height of the Steeda 555 8202 lowering springs.

My questions are: Can the sport springs go in an XLT without serious adverse reactions, install incompatibility? There are a couple threads that ask this question, but I can't find anyone saying "I did the sport spring, front and back, install in a base or XLT and its great". Should I just re-use the stock XLT springs with the new B6's because there are too many factors to consider (engine weight, additional sport bracing and tuning) to just chance it? Do the stock springs function well with B6's or should I abandon the B6's for motorcraft strut assemblies and just stay bare stock?

Thanks for any advice.
Hi did you ever end up doing this? I am facing the exact same dilemma as I am doing suspension work. The only wrinkle is, I have a FWD XLT and I have noticed in parking lots beside AWD explorers, my FWD is already about 20mm lower. I wonder what the FWD factor does in relation to springs. I am at 32 inches ground to top of fender in the front on stock springs and struts

Hi did you ever end up doing this? I am facing the exact same dilemma as I am doing suspension work. The only wrinkle is, I have a FWD XLT and I have noticed in parking lots beside AWD explorers, my FWD is already about 20mm lower. I wonder what the FWD factor does in relation to springs. I am at 32 inches ground to top of fender in the front on stock springs and struts
I have the towing package, AWD, and heavy duty brakes. The part numbers were on my springs when I took them out, and as best I could determine, from a discontinued number, they are the Limited model springs from 13/14. I chose to re-use them because I spent so much on everything else and I wasn't sure there was a difference with the newer number mentioned before on the sport edition.

NOTE: The front springs are impossible to mount in new struts without a bench mounted shop-type spring compressor. I paid $25 a side to get them re-mounted in the B6's.

I have the towing package, AWD, and heavy duty brakes. The part numbers were on my springs when I took them out, and as best I could determine, from a discontinued number, they are the Limited model springs from 13/14. I chose to re-use them because I spent so much on everything else and I wasn't sure there was a difference with the newer number mentioned before on the sport edition.

NOTE: The front springs are impossible to mount in new struts without a bench mounted shop-type spring compressor. I paid $25 a side to get them re-mounted in the B6's.
Ok thanks for that. I have the tow package as well and I'm FWD. I'm convinced FWD is lower than AWD stock. That's why I'm afraid to use the sport springs because AWD trucks are presumably heavier and my ride height might actually go up. From what I've read from other users, the steeda springs lowered most guys to the stock fwd height, but with a much firmer spring. I am going to try the steeda springs, my ride height will likely stay close to what I have. I hope, I like my ride height right now but what a stiffer ride

Ok thanks for that. I have the tow package as well and I'm FWD. I'm convinced FWD is lower than AWD stock. That's why I'm afraid to use the sport springs because AWD trucks are presumably heavier and my ride height might actually go up. From what I've read from other users, the steeda springs lowered most guys to the stock fwd height, but with a much firmer spring. I am going to try the steeda springs, my ride height will likely stay close to what I have. I hope, I like my ride height right now but what a stiffer ride
The steeda rear sway bar really decreases the roll on turns significantly. My vehicle felt like a ride at the county fair on turns by comparison to now. It turns like a tank, dead nuts level at speed. I highly recommend it

Back