Steering Wheel Controls Malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Controls Malfunction

smacarth

Reaction score
City, State
Jeffersonville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Eddie Bauer
I have 2008 EB V6 with Sync. I've been having trouble with the audio controls on the steering wheel lately where the volume button might change the input source, the CH+ button will increase the channel, but the CH- button will increase the volume... Strangest thing. It appears to be somewhat random. Sometimes the buttons will act as they should, other times their functions seem to be cross-wired.

Anyone else out there have this same issue??

You should still be in warranty- If it were me, I'd roll it to the dealer- start the paper trail (also- get a work order number every time you go in- a NEW one, do not let them revise the same one) so if there is a wiring gremlin in your vehicle, they will be on the hook.

The point of the repair order/work order number is for ford warranty and customer care as well as possible lemon law status- who knows where it could go, especially being wiring- if they keep using the same repair/work order, it only shows up as one instance, one problem, one time... That's why you want a new one every time you go in ;)

...but it could just be a bad steering wheel switch. :)

Yeah... I was thinking the dealership should be able to look at. It just never seems to be malfunctioning when I'm near a dealer. I had it in today to replace the serpentine belt under warranty and asked them about controls. They said they've never heard of that problem before (naturally) and said it has be be malfunctioning at the time of service -- of course.

Hadn't really thought about the new work order for each trip though -- very helpful idea!

Back